Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I painted my calipers today. Procedure is very simple. Fortunately I have access to a hoist at our school. I have done this with several vehicles and never had any related brake issues.

Once wheels are removed I use brake cleaner and a coarse wire brush to remove as much rust and oil as possible being careful not to damage the caliper slider boots and bleeder screw and its cap. I'm also careful to avoid removing the 'beneficial grease' from the sliders etc. I do this cleaning 2 - 3 times. I then tape off the rubber bits and use newspaper to cover the surrounding area.

I use BBQ paint in aluminum/silver color and apply about 3 coats 10 - 15 minutes apart. Nice thing about the BBQ paint is that it doesn't have to fully cure and it does cure with heat so a bit of driving and you're good to go.

I have done this on several cars and it usually lasts close to a year. Some parts wear off a bit but each time you repaint more and more stays making touchup very quick when you do, say, a wheel rotation. I've even popped into a service bay with my paint can if I happen to be having shop doing the rotation. Occasionally, I have gotten a few strange looks but for the most part the techs are strangely interested and they usually comment on how good it looks. Anyway, it's incredibly durable paint and makes washing a breeze.

Here are a few pics of My '12 Rondo's calipers...

Prepped caliper

Painted caliper

Driver's side calipers

Driver's front caliper

While I had the car on the hoist today, I also drained off another 4L of ATF and replaced with Kia SP-3. That's 2 flushes over the last couple of days.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That I do not know. The enamel may well last longer. I've just had great success with the BBQ paint. I've seen the caliper paint kits and I believe they are paint by brush types. Haven't seen spray type ones. That is not to say that they don't exist.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That I do not know. The enamel may well last longer. I've just had great success with the BBQ paint. I've seen the caliper paint kits and I believe they are paint by brush types. Haven't seen spray type ones. That is not to say that they don't exist.
They do make them in spray cans.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I painted the calipers on my Snow White Pearl '13 Sorento, I did them in red with a brush on 2 part epoxy, at first you can see some brush strokes, and in minutes they flow out as the epoxy self levels and starts to cure... I did them about a year ago... They still look like new, have retained the gloss. When they get brake dust on them.. Just spray with water between the wheel spokes and they look like new again

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Will investigate. If they have a silver/aluminum paint, I may go that route in the future. Epoxy does sound stronger than BBQ paint.

·
Registered
52 Posts
G-2 is the name of the epoxy kit that i used, they have a lot of different colors, i would recogmend this product 100%, it availible through Amamzon or on Ebay

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
POR 15, the kit is a little spendy, but it will last for years. Did mine five years ago. They still look presentable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I used to do this to other cars/trucks I've owned in the past, and at the time they didn't make kits or specialty paint just for brake callipers etc, and they didn't really have paint for bar b q's either (people didn't give a crap what their q looked like lol).

So I used to use engine paint, high temp engine block paint, or simply high heat spray paint from any store that sold it, Canadian Tire, Walmart, Home Depot, Hardware stores, who ever had it in stock in the color I was after.

Looks good and makes a difference between a nice painted calliper and a rusty old crappy looking brake system behind that wheel, especially with aftermarket wheels with bigger openings between the spokes etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, my BBQ remains rusty. LOL! I painted the exposed part of my exhaust system on my Grand Caravan (the Sto N' Go configuration makes the pipe very visible under the vehicle) with VHT FlameProof and it has held up remarkably well. I would have used that for the calipers but the color choices are few and the finish is very flat. The 'silver' comes out nearly white.

I think I will give the epoxy products the others mention a go. It would be nice to only have to do touch ups every few years as opposed to annually or semi-annually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts