Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen some pics of people having the chrome on the headlights painted. i was just curious on how thats done. anyone know?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The front and the back of the headlights need to be taken apart by baking them in the oven. After they are apart you will be able to get to the piece you are talking about painting. I have a thread on how to bake the headlight for the Optima and clear the corners. If you read it you will have an idea on how it is done. If you have any questions about it let me know. I will be glad to help you out. I just havent ever done any painting of headlights.
Baking the headlight thread

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
couple more things....flat black or gloss? and will i need to sand down the chrome or will the paint stick without doing that?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Gloss, and its up to you if you want to sand or not. I have heard of it being done both ways. If it were me I wouldnt sand them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to paint the whole lense black for the Euro look. WHich spray paint can I use where my hadlights will stil be bright enough?

·
Registered
17 Posts
vht

you could use the vht niteshades i used it on my taillights and it looks really good and it doesnt dime the light that much ive been thinking about doing my headlight but i just havent yet i dont know if i would get pulled over for it

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You will nave less grief baking them. Put them in the oven for 12 minutes at 180 or 200 degrees. Your lights will be just as bright as they ever were as long as you do not paint the round reflector surrounding the bulb. Bon Apetit!

·
Registered
17 Posts
really man do you think painting the outside of the head lights are a bad idea do you think the light wouldnt shine through very well i was thinking that it might now but i really just dont want to break anything baking them but i have to do something since im going for the black out like on my car everything is black right now besides the rims and the headlight i would have pic and stuff but i had a fender bender and so im waiting to get that fixed to post im just waiting on the fender to come in

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You will not break anything by putting them in the oven. If you left them in there for a really long time, well that is another story. Using a heat gun increases the chance of melting the plastic in spots plus the mastic can cool in the time it takes to go all the way around the headlight. I have done three sets now with no problem. this mod has been done by many people. If you bake take the bulbs out first. There is a how to for this over on Streetkiaz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
augmenting any part of the headlights is a bad idea. you may not realize it but every part of the headlight is designed for maximal illumination. painting the chrome will alter the beam pattern, your visibility at night, the visibility of the road at night and the DOT approval. BAD IDEA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
clear corners? someone want to elaborate on that? that means I can get rid of the yellow completely? I'm working on an 04 optima.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My spectra headlights

Here's what I did. I made my own "oven" out of a large box and my heat gun to unseal the headlight assembly. Made sure ALL areas of reflector to be painted was thoroughly rubbed down with fine steel wool. I used a UV enamel auto spray paint in three different coats and made sure a good 2 coats of a clear gloss UV protectant was on top of that. I think it turned out well. See pics. !!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
eddotykc
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing