Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted their calipers? I have a white SX hatch and am thinking of painting the calipers red. If anyone has done so and has some pics can you please post them. I want to see what it looks like first. Thanks

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Looks cooool! BUT, did you:
- prepare calipers by the book (sanding, cleaning, etc.)?
- use high temp paint?
- remove calipers completely (disconnecting break line)?

Do you think this coat will last or you will have to do it every year?
I believe you did not remove calipers and do 'proper' job since some paint is on brake pads...

I am looking for solution to paint calipers and never touch them again. Just hate to see all that rust after a year or two...

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
You can buy enamel kits that are temperature resistant up to like 1500 degrees. Taking the caliper off the car is A LOT of work, and will require you to mess with the brakes/brake fluid to get the pads reseated correctly.

I did this on a previous car I owned, used engine enamel in a can and taped off the parts I didn't want to spray. Took about 2-3 hours total, and aside from brake dust making the color look dull, they went 5 years without being repainted and looked great. Once I replaced the pads after 20-30k miles, they looked factory painted.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5 door hatchback
40 Posts
Looks cooool! BUT, did you:
- prepare calipers by the book (sanding, cleaning, etc.)?
- use high temp paint?
- remove calipers completely (disconnecting break line)?

Do you think this coat will last or you will have to do it every year?
I believe you did not remove calipers and do 'proper' job since some paint is on brake pads...

I am looking for solution to paint calipers and never touch them again. Just hate to see all that rust after a year or two...
They were pretty clean since I did this the first week I got it BUT I did clean them with a fluid I don't really know how to translate...but all in all they were spotless. I didn't do any sanding.

It said on the can that its for high temperature, waterproof and so on...

I did not remove the calipers and I don't think there is any paint on the brake pads (It may be the reflection?) Not sure.

Anyway its been 3 months since I did it and It looks the same from day one. Sure they get dirty from time to time because of the brakes and everything (which is normal) and when I clean the car with the mini-wash the dirt goes away and they look shiny and new :)
Don't know if I'll have to do it every year but for now it looks like its going to last

1 - 6 of 6 Posts