Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Kia touch up marker pen from the dealership.

I guess the first step is to clean the area. Is a Chamois with dish washing liquid the best thing to use?

Are there any other tips?

Does anyone know off the top of their head what a body shop would charge to repair about a foot long scratch and a few small
dots of chipped paint?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
First step is to get off any dirt etc. with car-wash detergent and plenty of water. Follow up with thinners.

Success of touch-up depends on how prominent the scratched section happens to be. There are services that will come to your car and fix it; otherwise get a quote - they usually want to do the whole panel - $500 is a guess.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Dish soap will remove the wax off your car, and will eventually damage the clear-coat. Unless you plan to re-wax the car, I wouldn't use dish soap.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've never been sure why people wax and polish their cars, but anyhow, you don't want to apply paint over wax. After-market "paint protection" would also be a problem for the touch-up process.

The car-wash product that I use allegedly leaves a wax finish, and that's all that I do.; the cars look OK after their (occasional) wash. Excessive washing and polishing eventually ruins the paint, IMHO.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Do I need a primer?
If you need a primer, you are doing more than a touch-up. Honestly, touch-ups are only appropriate for minor dings on unimportant parts of the car. - Stone chips on the front, minor damage around the bumpers etc.

BTW, if you want to show pictures, upload them to something like PhotoBucket and reference them that way.

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Someone in another forum said the following:

That needs filler, primer, sand and paint.
If I just use a paint pen with clear coat is there any risk of future rust damage?

That is what I am concerned about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts