Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dark Cherry Sorento SX-V6 FWD
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rather strange issue in that my 2012 Dark Cherry SX got a scratch on the rear hatch and I went looking for a touch up pen at my dealer. They tell me my VIN is pulling up a paint code of IRR which translates to Cherry. The paint code for Dark Cherry is supposedly IR, which is the only paint sticks they have. They call Kia and they dont make any IRR touchup pens.

What gives? I thought there were only 4 colors for the SX so this really shouldnt be this hard to get a paint stick.

Can anyone confirm that the color changed from IRR to IR at some point and if so does anyone have a lead on the IRR paint stick I need?

·
Registered
2009 KIA Optima LX
36 Posts
No, that is the IR pen that my dealer currently has. My VIN apparently is coded for paint code IRR.
Hmm...I've never heard or seen of a dealer having trouble matching paint with the vin. If you are thinking it may just be your dealers parts dept not knowing what they're doing you can always give my dealer a call and see what they say or can find.

Central KIA of Carrollton Texas

(972) 798-6900

Speak to either Dave or Israel in the parts department. They're both great.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Did you TRY the paint? Do you know it's wrong???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you TRY the paint? Do you know it's wrong???
I did not try it. My parts dept at the dealer called KIA who told them that they are not manufacturing the IRR paint sticks and they do not stock the IRR at the dealer. I suppose I can go by and check it out to see how close it is.

My question was more for what do the dealers on here do for those of us with a IRR paint code? Is the IR paint stick "close enough for government work"? I can't be the only SX owner with this IRR paint code.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
I did not try it. My parts dept at the dealer called KIA who told them that they are not manufacturing the IRR paint sticks and they do not stock the IRR at the dealer. I suppose I can go by and check it out to see how close it is.

My question was more for what do the dealers on here do for those of us with a IRR paint code? Is the IR paint stick "close enough for government work"? I can't be the only SX owner with this IRR paint code.
It should be the correct paint code.......... I'm a parts manager at a Kia dealer, that's why I asked you if you tried it. I've sold many of this color NEVER had a problem. Try the paint in the bottom of the door jam to make sure it matches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Cobra. My dealership keeps telling me that KIA doesnt manufacture my paint code (IRR), but if its the same as IR that they stock it seems even stranger that when they called KIA to inquire about IRR that they just didnt tell them they laid off the last R due to downsizing and to sell me an IR paint stick.

I dont go in for my scheduled service until Saturday and will let you know how it works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts