Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2018 Sorento and like it but the paint seems to scratch very easily. Seems every time I look there's another scratch. Anyone else notice the paint seems to be poor? I'm picking up a paint pen from the dealer this week to apply to the superficial scratches.. any input on the paint pen? I won't even bother if it's badly reviewed.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,581 Posts
Update user CP with location, vehicle model and year

Bought a 2018 Sorento and like it but the paint seems to scratch very easily. Seems every time I look there's another scratch. Anyone else notice the paint seems to be poor? I'm picking up a paint pen from the dealer this week to apply to the superficial scratches.. any input on the paint pen? I won't even bother if it's badly reviewed.
Welcome.

Not heard of any paint quality issues unique to Kia.
I've found the OEM paint pens to be good.

Also, we wouldn't know what scratched your car, and whether that damage is to be expected based on that.

Please update your profile detail, ......at least location and vehicle (year & model).

Click on “User CP” near the top right of the page, then "Edit Your Details" on the left.

http://www.kia-forums.com/forum-rules/27240-forum-rules.html

Not possible while using the mobile app.

·
Premium Member
2012 Silver Sorento SX AWD 3.5L V6 & 2018 Snow White Pearl Sorento EX AWD 3.3L V6
55 Posts
As ron1004 said I have not noticed the paint is any worse than other vehicles. I have used the pens you are talking about and for me they require "some" expertise in the use. I suggest you buy one (don't be to surprised that they cost about $20 at the dealers) and use it in a inconspicuous location on the vehicle and see how you like it. I found them to leave streak marks and did not like the results. I do use a scratch remover and the results are mixed. Some scratches are removed and some are not. As long as the scratch has not gone down to bare metal the scratch remover should work.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,374 Posts
The paint pens are best used for dealing with small chips. The pen and a toothpick to help distribute carefully seem to work for that. Scratches are hard to do well since the flow is usually too much for a thin line.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The paint is not any different to any other vehicle manufacturers. It's all junk since they removed the lead content from paint. Every car that I have owned over the last 5 to 10 years will scratch if you just look at it. Paint these days is much much softer than it used to be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im having this issue on my new 2020 Sportage. My gf has that issue with her 2017 Hyundai. I’ve never, EVER had a car that would scratch so easily in my 30 years of driving. Never. It’ll get scratched if you simply look at it wrong. But seriously, even had a scratch when I bout it brand spanking new. I also had to have their roadside assistance come out due to faulty battery, and his rubber-wrapped cables scuffed and scratched the paint.
Going to be working with their consumer affairs department this week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just why I was signing in!! My 2018 Sorento hood paint is coming off in little round chips. Scary thing is doesn't look like there is any primer underneath. Just bare metal!! Anybody else!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im having this issue on my new 2020 Sportage. My gf has that issue with her 2017 Hyundai. I’ve never, EVER had a car that would scratch so easily in my 30 years of driving. Never. It’ll get scratched if you simply look at it wrong. But seriously, even had a scratch when I bout it brand spanking new. I also had to have their roadside assistance come out due to faulty battery, and his rubber-wrapped cables scuffed and scratched the paint.
Going to be working with their consumer affairs department this week.
Good Luck!! Let us know if they can help!! Cruddy paint!!

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
950 Posts
Reactions: Jacob King

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
@bob2c

WOW!!!!! :oops:

That is bad! Looks awful.

Not yours I hope.

Richard

·
Registered
137 Posts
Zooming way up on that photo, if I'm seeing it correctly, the entire front end of your hood is one giant series of rock chips left unattended.
The marks all the way up is just dirt from traveling when it was raining, but the leading edge of hood is littered with rock chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
@bob2c

WOW!!!!! :oops:

That is bad! Looks awful.

Not yours I hope.

Richard
Yes it’s my wife’s. Had it repainted. The had to strip hood completely. Said paint was defective and did not adhere to primer correctly. They painted fenders too. The windshield pillars are next to go. Chip easily so I fill right away with touch up paint to prevent further separation. Only a bandaid. It will fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts