Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tapped a mailbox tonight backing out of a driveway after picking my daughter up in a neighborhood I didn't know.

Some of it didn't make it past the clear coat, but some of it did.

Any thoughts on the best way to have this fixed? Dealer or third party?

I hate to file an insurance claim on it, as it will end up raising my premium.

The mail box was undamaged. lol. The proximity sensors warned me of nothing.

What do you all think? 2021 Black X-Line.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX
10 Posts
Depending on the size of it, I would call a mobile touch up service like the dealers use for the pre owned cars. They will come to you and have it fixed in no time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in a small town, so I don't have that, but I do know a guy at a place called 'The Car Color Center' and he has done great work for me in old vehicles. It's been about 10 years, though.

You think he'd be able to blend it fine? I'm in that initial panic mode. I'll think clearer tomorrow.

I have an 8 day trip coming up soon, so I can leave it somewhere, no problem.

I only thought of the dealer, as I want to recreate the issue with traction control kicking in for them and the app told me I had a 6K service I didn't know about. That is fine, though, as I still believe in changing the engine oil in the first 7500 miles of ownership.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX
10 Posts
Its hard to really tell from the picture but more than likely most of it will be able to be buffed out. I guess it really depends how much you like and trust your dealer. I know if I took it to my local dealer like that they would try to tell me the entire rear needs to be painted and stick me with a huge bill. But if your dealer is honest, they would really be able to just buff it and give it a touch up where needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very, very true. I'll see my guy first.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
21 Posts
If it is just clear coat, it should be easy to do yourself. There are good videos on YouTube. Just some light 3k sanding and compound and polish

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went and saw my paint guy today. He wiped a lot of that off with a laquer cloth.

I have a dent and two scratches that went through the paint.

I'm going to have him fix it, since he's been my paint guy for 10 years. I live in a small place, but I have a mechanic and paint person I trust.

He told me drop it off and he'll deal with dents, take the logo's off, repaint the entire panel, and put the logo's back on (I am wondering if I may want him to leave some of them off).

He said he can do a three day turnaround.

It's funny, back when I used him long ago, I dropped vehicles off at a barn. Now he's got the this 10 bay shop and looks like he stays busy. Honest work still pays off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have any opinions about all the logo's on the back? Thoughts on keeping them on vs. leaving it 'cleaner'?

I found a picture (may have been this site), where someone took some of them off and it looked less busy.

I thought about just leaving the X-Line and perhaps Sorento, I'm torn on that, though.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
21 Posts
I think that's on an individual basis. They don't bother me but some people don't like the Sorento in the back.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
39 Posts
"The mail box was undamaged. lol. The proximity sensors warned me of nothing."

If the proximity sensors weren't working I would have a discussion with my dealer about that and add in the damage caused by the lack of working sensors.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
261 Posts
Definitely leave that one for a professional. I tried repairing a deep/thick scratch on a pearl white Honda Odyssey and I made it worse. It was a 4 pack of paint pens with brush applicators. The idea was to sand down the gouge, prime with a tiny brush, sand, paint 2 coats with a white brush, add a coat of white flake, then add a clear coat.

It was terrible. I almost wish I left it as a jagged silver/steel gouge. The $80 I paid in paint and sandpaper was a waste. That being said, I'm not sure on cost to have a pro do the job. I assume it's at least a few hundred bucks, which in my case would've been worth it.

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
144 Posts
Definitely leave that one for a professional. I tried repairing a deep/thick scratch on a pearl white Honda Odyssey and I made it worse. It was a 4 pack of paint pens with brush applicators. The idea was to sand down the gouge, prime with a tiny brush, sand, paint 2 coats with a white brush, add a coat of white flake, then add a clear coat.

It was terrible. I almost wish I left it as a jagged silver/steel gouge. The $80 I paid in paint and sandpaper was a waste. That being said, I'm not sure on cost to have a pro do the job. I assume it's at least a few hundred bucks, which in my case would've been worth it.
I'm with you TD Charlie - I'd leave it for the pros. My dealership has a great collision repair shop that fixes all of their cars. They do amazing work. I'd ask the Kia dealership who they'd recommend.

Reactions: TD Charlie
1 - 13 of 13 Posts