Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before purchasing, I had heard the odd complaint about how soft the paint is on the Rio (especially black, which I bought). I now have to concur.

Last week my girlfriend left bird dropping sit on the roof for two days :( argh. Needless to say, I spotted it too late and - even after cleaning and polishing - the outline has etched itself into the paint. :mad:

Maybe, just maybe I can wet-sand it out, but that will have to wait for another day.

Anyone else having paint issues?

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX
18 Posts
Before purchasing, I had heard the odd complaint about how soft the paint is on the Rio (especially black, which I bought). I now have to concur.

Last week my girlfriend left bird dropping sit on the roof for two days :( argh. Needless to say, I spotted it too late and - even after cleaning and polishing - the outline has etched itself into the paint. :mad:

Maybe, just maybe I can wet-sand it out, but that will have to wait for another day.

Anyone else having paint issues?
It's really not the paint. Bird crap has some sort of acid in it, that if you do not attend to it promptly it will do that to most paint job.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX
21 Posts
The first weekend I had mine, I applied 2 coats of Liquid Glass. I haven't had a problem so far, but haven't had any major bird crap on it. Bugs seem to wash right off though.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Today i watched a documentary of the Kia US assembly plant. Highlighted was the pre preparation and elaborate painting of the US made Kias. It is all done by robotics. Anyone entering the paint area must first go through a clean room. The cars are totally submersed in a paint solution that is electronically charged to the complete body shell. This forms a virtual rust proof body. This priming gets into places that traditional methods tend to miss. Very impressive.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Yup I made the mistake of not getting some bird crap of my black RIO. Ended up with the same stain burned into the paint. My Jag had a paint job that was like Armour! Bird droppings had no affect what so ever. Too bad the rest of the car wasn't as reliable!:lol:

Yeah the paint process is pretty cool! I haven't been able to weasel my way in the paint shop to see it in person.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
also keep in mind that any vehicle manufacturer for quite a few years now has to be painted with water base paint not the oil base that was used before.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup I made the mistake of not getting some bird crap of my black RIO. Ended up with the same stain burned into the paint. My Jag had a paint job that was like Armour!
This was my feeling too - previous vehicles (which include a 2006 Civic Si, a 2008 Accord and a 2010 CRV) all had stellar paint in comparison. And when it came to bird droppings, I never had to be so vigilant. The girlfriend would sometimes leave dropping on for a week or more :eek: without issue.^_^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts