Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my wife had a rock hit the lower lip of the front bumper. I was surprised at the amount of damage as the plastic bumper really has no damage, but the paint is falling off like a bad sun burn. Its not sticking to the plastic. The only real way to fix this is to remove the bumper, and remove all the paint and re-do it.

Think I have a chance of getting Kia to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Optima, 2009 G8, 1986 Capri
192 Posts
Do Not tell them that anything hit it, just tell them it is peeling.......Maybe then you might have a chance...............Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
It's damage..no diff than a rock breaking your windshield. Not warranty

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think so?

If a rock hits my windshield, the glass does not start to chip out in large pieces. I also paint cars for a hobby, and if I did a paint job like this, I would not be happy. The paint is NOT STICKING to the bumper as it should.

No damage to the bumper, just peeling paint. NOT NORMAL.......

Kia is sending a rep to look at it Friday.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think so?

If a rock hits my windshield, the glass does not peel out in large pieces. I also paint cars for a hobby, and if I did a paint job like this, I would not be happy. The paint is NOT STICKING to the bumper as it should. If I fix it, the paint will be stripped down to the plastic and prepped right before painting.

No damage to the bumper, just peeling paint. No paint should come off like a sunburn after any type of damage. NOT NORMAL.......

Kia is sending a rep to look at it Friday.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for a little ammunition, I went to a body shop across the street from my Kia dealer. The dealer actually told me they would use the same body shop if needed.

The body shop also agreed that the plastic bumper was not prepped right before painting. They also found another spot on the bumper where the paint is separated from the bumper. As they are friendly businesses, the knew the service manager and call him (got voice mail,) and told him they feel this is a factory defect and the fix is to replace the complete bumper as the labor to remove the paint off mine would cost more than a new one.

We'll see how Friday goes.... Estimate to replace and paint bumper $2200.00. Kia will do it or I will.

3M clear cover will go over the new bumper.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kia will pay to replace and paint the bumper. Bumper is in stock and the body shop will do it Tuesday!

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, but as you can see, the bumper is not damaged, just the paint. And the paint should not peel off. Crack, yes.... peel, no.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow I knew the paint was pretty cheap on Hyundai/Kia vehicles but really?!

Do you think this was just yours or do you think it's due to the way ALL Kia's are painted in the manufacturing process?

I bought a 2012 Sonata in January (totalled now which is why I now have an Optima). Normal driving on roads that don't have rocks or anything and I was getting tons of chips and scratches within the first month... ugh... I assume since Hyundai owns Kia that Kia would be the same so...

I bought the MOC paint protection when I bought my Kia Optima to replace my Sonata. It was $995 for five years guaranteed bumper to bumper interior and exterior is covered.

I worked mine into the deal for $595.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts