Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I browsed through the Accent forum tonight and I was almost shocked to see that one of the hottest topic is the poor fuel consumption. Actually, the debate rages on through four or five threads and the Accent owners are not all that happy. To be honest, some are very very happy though. The subjet has been debated here too but not in such a "robust" manner. Makes me wonder if Kia and Hyundai are aware that their GDI engine is the technically the finest but not an hybrid killer as advertised. Do you think this kinda of talk -Accent and Rio are not as economical as they're supposed to- could hurt Accent and Rio sales? Speaking for myself, my EX Rio with a little more than 1000 km on the odo does 37-39 mpg 80% suburb kind of driving and 20% highway. No downtown style driving with a lot of stop & go. Can I call this wonderful?
Cheers and bonne journée

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well my 2012 with 2000 miles on it, I'm averaging no lower than 34MPG and I drive *fast* 80+mph on the highway.

I averaged almost 41mpg on a 100% highway trip (400 miles) so I'm very very very happy with the fuel economy of our cars.

Coming from a 4 cylinder truck that got 23MPG -- I'm one happy camper.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Hi, I browsed through the Accent forum tonight and I was almost shocked to see that one of the hottest topic is the poor fuel consumption. Actually, the debate rages on through four or five threads and the Accent owners are not all that happy. To be honest, some are very very happy though. The subjet has been debated here too but not in such a "robust" manner. Makes me wonder if Kia and Hyundai are aware that their GDI engine is the technically the finest but not an hybrid killer as advertised. Do you think this kinda of talk -Accent and Rio are not as economical as they're supposed to- could hurt Accent and Rio sales? Speaking for myself, my EX Rio with a little more than 1000 km on the odo does 37-39 mpg 80% suburb kind of driving and 20% highway. No downtown style driving with a lot of stop & go. Can I call this wonderful?
Cheers and bonne journée
You do realize there are only a hand full of gasoline cars out there that can come close to what your mpg is now?

Sales are nearly double that of last year for the RIO. Several of my coworkers drive the previous model RIO. I get better MPG than they do.:)

Like accelerus, my 4 cylinder truck gets maybe 19/24 city /highway.

Once I took into account my car insurance , which increased about $63 a month after purchasing this car. I'm still saving money in the long run. If nothing else I'm not spending more to own it.

No doubt for city drivers a hybrid like the Toyota Prius would be a better fit.The Prius will also cost roughly $10,000 more. So just how much money would a person save over a 5 year period between the two? I'm not sure, but I doubt they would save $10,000.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Well, so far I am not impressed about the fuel economy of my car. Coming from a 97 Honda Civic with which I had around 31-32mpg in average I get just about the same with the Rio with driving more conservatively. For once people coming from cars around 20mpg would be happy but I expect some improvement over a car that was 15 years old.
I don't think this is a general Rio problem since you see quite a few people reporting much higher mpg numbers but it is some adjustment/tuning that needs to be done with the car. I will give it a bit more time but then check with my dealer.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
I am not impressed with this new gen of 'small cars'. Rio has engine of 1.6 liters and you are all excited with 'how little gas consumption is'. If you were driving American crappy gas guzzlers you should. Well, I am not. My Accord has 2.4 liters and it uses 6 or below liters on highway any time. Mixed driving is around 7. For an engine with 800 cc less I expected way better than 4.9 (highway - on paper) consumption...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX
136 Posts
I'm not impressed with mine either my 1.4L MPI Rio makes about 29MPG 100% city driving. I've yet to put the first 600 miles on it so I'm really hoping for it to improve after the break in period.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
I have followed the Accent and Rio since a few months before I purchased my Rio. There are definitely many people on both ends of the spectrum regarding the gas mileage they get, happy/upset.

In the USA they advertise 30/40 mpg. This is a government type figure, not a statement by the car manufacturer. In my readings I have seen dozens of times where you should expect + or - up to 20% for your actual mileage. This would mean as low as approximately 24/32 mpg. I assumed that with my luck I would get on the lower end of this range but I am so far getting 28.5 in what I would classify "city" driving. I am well above the 24 so I am happy. I am seeing improvement at each fill up.

One observation I made is that when the bloggers rely on their trip computer vs. actually calculating the true mpg, they are in the happy crowd. I am betting that the figures the trip computer gives are generous.

It gets tricky deciphering readers comments when you take into account MPI/GDI, US gal/Imp gal and KM/miles.

Cars like the small engine Toyota Corolla actually have lower government rated mpg figures but consistently beat them (and Rio's stated 30/40). My brother gets 34/44 consistently with his. Plus they have a tested product as the engine has been the same for years now. I would have purchased one however they were not roomy enough for the driver. Plus I wanted a hatch.

I recall in the 80's getting 44mpg on my Datsun B-310 hatch but the now Sentra comes no where close to that thanks to all the added crap the government makes them put on cars nowadays.

Anyway, I got my Rio and am pleased thus far. Looking forward to a nice long highway trip to test the upper mpg limit.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Fuel Economy

BULLXYZ- My First long trip results:D.---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Our Canadian Spec 2013 SX has Rain Sensor Windshield Wipers, Automatic Climate Control & Heated Steering Wheel.All are not available on the U.S model along with my Beige Leather interior.All worked great and were appreciated on my 8 day road trip from Calgary to Spokane, Seattle & Vancouver.Weather was everything from HOT 33 C to torrential rain & 9 C. We went through 2 mountain passes with lots of standing water & no aquaplaning.Drove 2883 Kilometers & used 196 liters of fuel.Worst tank was 33 mpg & best was 51 Imperial.Overall 6.79 Ltr/100 kms (42 Imperial MPG or 33.4 U.S).That includes city traffic in all four major cities. I drove with the ECO on the whole time & cruised @ 95 to 105 KPH.All in all the car delivered as promised.Comfortable seats,decent passing power, well controlled ride & great fuel economy.I would not hesitate to recommend this car.I know this is an econobox but its quite up to long distance cruising.The tyre noise becomes less noticable(especially with the stereo turned up) & the spousal unit didn't even mind the low passengers seat.Total kilometers now @ 3616.I am hoping the fuel economy will improve as it breaks in & I put Full synthetic oil in it.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 mt
31 Posts
gas milage

When I first bought my 2012 rio5 m/t (I calculate my mpg by dividing miles driven and gas used) the gauge on the dash average is usually 2 mpg off better between fillups..... when it was cooler out I gottn 31-32 mpg driving back n forth to work 15 miles one way... now im getting consistentley 35 mpg...When I first bought it the dealer filled it up I drove it 120 miles home and filled it up ...3 gallons of gas = 40 mpg calculated out NOT by gauges.Im very happy with my car I think the motor has to be completley warmed up b4 you start to get better fuel ecomomy my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Well my commute is probably longer than most here. Must be something wrong with the gas or the car fellows. So far my trip computer after driving to work and then home for the last 2 days has me at 40.5 miles to the gallon U.S. . Even figuring by fill-up and mileage. I'm still no less than 37.5 mpg. I do commute 75 miles a day round trip. Its been consistent for weeks now. Maybe it's the terrain or elevation? I'm not sure, I'm not seeing this bad mileage per gallon that some of you are. I now have 2200 miles on my little RIO.

@MaybeKia
Sorry , I've never seen a 2.4L Honda get 40 mpg..never. Maybe 32..40mpg? You must be running NASCAR fuel?:D
One of my coworkers has a 2001 Honda Civic and drives it 150 miles a day. He claims 28/30 mpg at highway speeds 70/80 mph.

Check out the comparisons.
Compare Side-by-Side

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
As I mentioned before, i was driving a 97 Civic and with the mix of highway and city I got about 31-32mpg and I was driving more aggressively than with the Rio. I'm not saying hat the fuel economy is bad but I would just expect that in times of rising oil prices that car manufacturers should be able to come up with something better.
I know that governments make them add features which won't help the consumption. At the same time I also have the feeling that authorities in at least my city do everything to drive gas consumption up. Where on intersections the traffic has never been a problem the timing of the traffic lights has been changed and as a result traffic is getting worse.

I would be totally happy if I would get the 34mpg out of it and I haven't given up hope yet. Besides, I still love my little Rio!

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Back to back tanks now getting barely 30 mpg with 50/50 mixed hwy/city driving. I have tried every combination known with Eco on, off, cruise control as much as possible and short of having someone tow me behind them there is no way I can break the mileage people on here are getting. In order to break 30 I will probably have to park my car by the entrance ramp to the highway, drive under the speed limit, not use the a/c or air at all for that matter so I will have to drive in to work wearing one of my wife's thongs and an A-shirt. The fuel economy on this car at 24xx miles on the clock sucks hot, sweaty donkey balls. Period. Exclamation. End statement. Don't buy this car for the B.S. EPA posted fuel ratings because they are severely flawed..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe you - Rio is not "the" gas miser

Back to back tanks now getting barely 30 mpg with 50/50 mixed hwy/city driving. I have tried every combination known with Eco on, off, cruise control as much as possible and short of having someone tow me behind them there is no way I can break the mileage people on here are getting. In order to break 30 I will probably have to park my car by the entrance ramp to the highway, drive under the speed limit, not use the a/c or air at all for that matter so I will have to drive in to work wearing one of my wife's thongs and an A-shirt. The fuel economy on this car at 24xx miles on the clock sucks hot, sweaty donkey balls. Period. Exclamation. End statement. Don't buy this car for the B.S. EPA posted fuel ratings because they are severely flawed..
Hi, I understand and believe you even if my Sedan does better than my old Neon 2000 and a little bit than yours. But I cannot see the day this car will break the 40mpg barrier. Just plain impossible to my knowledge. I drive my Rio as a grandma would. No AC, Eco On, 90-100km/h top speed, windows closed, no rough breaking and no Mustang style start. I get 35-39 mpg with a mix of 60/40 hwy/city. Which is only 7-9 mpg more than my Neon did with its old 2.0L and 3 speed automatic. EPA fuel ratings for the Rio are off chart. They should read 28-38 period. I love the car but I'm disappointed in the MPG. When I browsed through the Accent forum, MPG was (and still is) a hot topic. Too many owners would complain about MPG on their Accent. I understand some Rio and Accent owners may get 40 or more MPG, so this would mean no one 1.6 GDI engine is the same or it is not a gas miser as it should be. Breaking in period? I was even told to wait until 12,000 miles. Gee, it's in one year for me. So I slowly settle down for a nice heavily equipped sub-compact with a terrific design with a not so sober engine after all. Maybe the next generation...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I may add...

I'm not totally dissatisfied with my Rio but after 12 years with a car (Neon) that got me 24/26mpg/city and 28-32 highway, I really gave in to the "most economical car" of its segment argument when I was shopping. Now I'm wondering why an Elantra with a 1.8L engine can match or do better than a Rio/Accent with a 1.6L. I so hesitated between a compact or a subcompact. I could buy a GLS Elantra and told myself "Go for the fuel economy instead". Dear Lord, hear my plea: make the price of gas go down!

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 SX auto
28 Posts
My most recent tank came in at a manually calculated 35.1 mpg. That was for mostly around town short trip driving with one or two short highway trips thrown in. Since it is rated at 33 mpg combined I am very satisfied. Like others, I have achieved 40 mpg tanks on all highway trips. And I've never been below 34 mpg for a tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, I understand and believe you even if my Sedan does better than my old Neon 2000 and a little bit than yours. But I cannot see the day this car will break the 40mpg barrier. Just plain impossible to my knowledge. I drive my Rio as a grandma would. No AC, Eco On, 90-100km/h top speed, windows closed, no rough breaking and no Mustang style start. I get 35-39 mpg with a mix of 60/40 hwy/city. Which is only 7-9 mpg more than my Neon did with its old 2.0L and 3 speed automatic. EPA fuel ratings for the Rio are off chart. They should read 28-38 period. I love the car but I'm disappointed in the MPG. When I browsed through the Accent forum, MPG was (and still is) a hot topic. Too many owners would complain about MPG on their Accent. I understand some Rio and Accent owners may get 40 or more MPG, so this would mean no one 1.6 GDI engine is the same or it is not a gas miser as it should be. Breaking in period? I was even told to wait until 12,000 miles. Gee, it's in one year for me. So I slowly settle down for a nice heavily equipped sub-compact with a terrific design with a not so sober engine after all. Maybe the next generation...
You know,....I think you might be right and it's a real mystery.... On paper the car looks like it should be getting those EPA numbers - DI state of the art engine, low curb weight, drag coefficient, etc... But alas, it's not doing it...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lets forget the mpg numbers for a second - how many kms are you guys averaging per tank? Mixed highway and city let's say.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
12' KIA Rio5 SX & 15' KIA Sedona SXL
76 Posts
Been real happy with the fuel consumption with about 85% city & 15% highway driving here in Orlando! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
More than hap-py with MPG OR Litres per 100 kms.

I don't know you guys getting poor mileage must be leadfoots;) From a previous post of mine:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Our Canadian Spec 2013 SX has Rain Sensor Windshield Wipers, Automatic Climate Control & Heated Steering Wheel.All are not available on the U.S model along with my Beige Leather interior.All worked great and were appreciated on my 8 day road trip from Calgary to Spokane, Seattle & Vancouver.Weather was everything from HOT 33 C to torrential rain & 9 C. We went through 2 mountain passes with lots of standing water & no aquaplaning.Drove 2883 Kilometers & used 196 liters of fuel.Worst tank was 33 mpg & best was 51 Imperial.Overall 6.79 Ltr/100 kms (42 Imperial MPG or 33.4 U.S).That includes city traffic in all four major cities. I drove with the ECO on the whole time & cruised @ 95 to 105 KPH.All in all the car delivered as promised.Comfortable seats,decent passing power, well controlled ride & great fuel economy.I would not hesitate to recommend this car.I know this is an econobox but its quite up to long distance cruising.The tyre noise becomes less noticable(especially with the stereo turned up) & the spousal unit didn't even mind the low passengers seat.Total kilometers now @ 4027. Let's put it another way.2 people travelled 2883 kilometers for $235 worth of gas.You can't Fly that cheaply! Most recent 70% city & 30% highway tank is @7.9 Ltrs per 100 KM(29 U.S M.P.G) F348 to answer your question 463 Kilometers on this tank.I also live in Calgary(the Denver of the north & we are @ 3500 ft altitude). I am hoping the fuel economy will improve as it breaks in & I put Full synthetic oil in it.Look @ the other cars that I own(Gas Pigs other than the Fiat).I bought the Rio to save gas I & I'm not disapointed!

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX 6spd
59 Posts
I have just under 10,000km on my manual EX.

Average is 6.92l/100km, or 40.8 Imperial MPG, 34.0 US MPG. My best has been 6.41l/100km, or 44 UK MPG, 36.7 US. I've come very close to this number several times. My commute is 99% highway, and to get the low numbers I need to drive at about 110km/h (limit is 100 and 90 km/h). I don't see bettering these numbers significantly at those speeds.

Driving style plays a significant role in your mileage. I have a friend that will charge a traffic light that just turned red under power, then slam his brakes on (I'm exaggerating a bit here), just to sit and stare at a red light. As soon as I see alight turn, I try and get up to speed and close the throttle. If you're going fast enough in gear with the throttle closed, your injectors don't fire. This can make a huge difference in town.

It also goes without saying, idling murders your mileage numbers.

Hope that helps,

Thanks

Brian

1 - 20 of 124 Posts