Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paddle shifter retrofit to 2006+ Sedona possible?

Anyone here know if the "clockspring" has enough passthru connections thru it to handle the extra signals to add "Paddle Shifting" to 2006+ as shown here:

DIY: Paddle shift install on a GLS - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

I'm assuming the wiring at the steering wheel is NOT present, wiring loam would have to be extended to steering wheel. This little detail aside wondering which paddle shift kit to get.

(I see paddle shift kits on Ebay, looks like pulls off new cars from Korean RIO's?)

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I highly doubt it would work. However, if your Sedona doesn't have the steering wheel audio remote, the wiring is there to add it. The Sedona was developed LONG before any Kia ever had paddle shifters, and the Sedona steering wheel is significantly different than any other Kia with paddle shifters. Unless you retrofitted a wheel from an 09-10 Optima SX, but I don't even know if that's possible.
-
Is all the hassle really worth it? I mean, it's a minivan, it's not even TRYING to be sporty! The only thing I've ever used the Sportmatic for is downshifting on long grades and starting in 2nd gear in the snow.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I highly doubt it would work. However, if your Sedona doesn't have the steering wheel audio remote, the wiring is there to add it. The Sedona was developed LONG before any Kia ever had paddle shifters, and the Sedona steering wheel is significantly different than any other Kia with paddle shifters. Unless you retrofitted a wheel from an 09-10 Optima SX, but I don't even know if that's possible.
-
Is all the hassle really worth it? I mean, it's a minivan, it's not even TRYING to be sporty! The only thing I've ever used the Sportmatic for is downshifting on long grades and starting in 2nd gear in the snow.
Yep, car was designed years ago...

Car in question has cruise, vol +, vol_, mode buttons- so if any of these were disabled (toggled) those pass thru's the clockspring would be assignable to the paddle switches.

(I envision paddle switches Siamesed into vol -, vol +, mode wiring, toggle switch on dash, etc to switch between controlling radio- or using paddle shift mode. )

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I wouldn't worry about paddle shifters on your van. Hard to see why you'd want to shift gears manually in most circumstances, and the usual shift lever isn't far away if you ever need it. You've only 5 gears to play with, and if you eliminate 1st and 5th, that's only 3 to "paddle" with. I see the latest trend is towards 9 or even 10 ratios in auto 'boxes; maybe then you might need a paddle to stir things along.

I've rarely REALLY needed manual mode on the autos I've driven in the past 30 years. OK, there's the occasional mountain that might need a little extra braking, but most of our road are flat. Modern autos do a good enough job by themselves if you need a little extra urge for passing etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts