Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working my daughter's Kia. It blew the radiator, an got a little hot but didn't max out the gauge. After I replaces the radiator the car runs ok but no longer idles smooth while in gear. Upper rpm the engine is smooth. She has been driving it for the last two weeks like this. It takes a few tries to start after the engine is warm. The MIL codes appeared at the same time.
P1115 "ECT signal from ECM to TCM" and P1624 "MIL request signal from TCM"
I don't understand the relationship between the TCM and ECM. As for the ECT it seems like a simple $20 ECT sensor. Are both these codes caused by the same ECT sensor?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'd try first to (reseat) the connector on the Engine Coolant temp sensor: it's the (2) wire connector on the right of the thermostat housing (follow upper radiator hose -> back to the housing, you'll see the sensor connector..

If no joy, would try hooking up a OBDII scanner to see real-time data (what the ECM sees), and compare ECM / ECT-reported temp vs. actual temp. measured with an IR thermometer..

If still no joy, would be back-tracking / checking wiring.

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked out the car found water level just a little low. Topped if off and the P0115 code self cancelled. I scanned system and the P1624 code "MIL request signal from TCM to ECM" is still there.

Code reader live data showed ECT at 91 deg before starting. Sounds right, ambient is about the same. Started engine and watched temp rise to 195 and then it held within about 5 deg as the thermostat started doing it's job.

I could use some help with this P1624 code. I don't know much about Transmission codes. And my code reader doesn't do TCM's

1 - 3 of 3 Posts