1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona XL G 3.5 DOHC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Kia Sedona with 101,000 miles on it
I reset the code and about a week or two later it came back

I've read the posts for this code (catalyst efficiency problem in the warm-up converter on bank 2) and found a troubleshooting flowchart in the service manual but am a newbie with some questions;

Manual indicates that PCV valve should be checked as one of the steps but I can't find it. Is it hiding by the firewall? Does the intake manifold have to be removed? A picture would be great. One in manual doesn't give away location.

If you have experience with this code what typically does it wind up being for a car with 100k miles on it (oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, pcv valve, exhaust leak)?

I will be selling this car in less than a year but don't want to pass the problem along to the buyer. What would you do to minimize the expense?

Tx

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
99% of the time its the cat. The pre-cats, on the exhaust manifolds, are pretty common to come apart on these vans, especially if it has been running bad recently(misfiring), or is overdue for a tune up. I'd replace it ASAP, because if it disintegrates it can plug up the main cat, and then you'll need both. P0431 indicates the Bank 2 pre-cat, which is the front(radiator side).

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona XL G 3.5 DOHC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't see any instructions on how to go about changing the pre-cat in the service manual. Have you changed these before? Other than dealing with rusty bolts is it difficult to change? Would you happen to have the steps needed for this repair?

Tx

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sedona
5 Posts
I have the same code: P0431 as well as P0446. I have had the P0431 code for a few months now with no noticeable driving/running problems through the winter months.

Now, the last couple weeks, It runs very poorly.

With mild acceleration it is fine. With moderate to heavy acceleration it bogs down as if the air conditioner were on but much worse. It is nearly impossible to safely enter a freeway safely and the fuel mileage has gone down to 10 mpg where it was around 14-15 mpg.

Are you sure this is the catalytic converter, more specifically, the pre-cat, the short one nearest the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine (radiator side). Could it possibly be a O2 sensor?

Where is a good place to buy parts? I avoid dealers whenever possible.

FSUDAL have you resolved your problem yet?

Thank you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts