Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD 3.3 V6 USA
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had my ‘16 for about 4 months and got a check engine light today. Error is P0430 according to my scanner. Anyone ever get this code before? Doing a search it comes up with Catalytic converter? It only has 38k so still covered until Jan 2021. Just seems with that mileage and age a converter should not be an issue. Would an O2 sensor give out that code? Coming from a Toyota background so these Kia’s are so different to me!

I let UVO send out the diagnostic message to the nearest dealer. Let’s see how soon they contact me to make an appointment!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
A P0430 is time dependent error (based upon the ECU's fiddling of mixture vs. results), and a sensor usually is not.

However, there's at least a slim chance that the sensor can be the culprit, and if you don't have the tools to monitor the output and trim table while the mixture is being varied, it's the cheapest attempt at a shotgun solution.

If the sensor isn't it, then the first step is to figure out what killed the converter. Most things that kill a converter should have already thrown a code indicating the root cause (e.g., bad air/fuel ratio, misfires and a couple of other lesser knowns). Is this the first code you've seen, or were there others before? Unfortunately, chances are that you won't know, since you got it used not that long back.

The great news is that the cat converter is covered even longer than you may think thanks to the feds -- in miles. So if it's crapped out, you shouldn't get hurt by the replacement, but you will need to diagnose the root cause and deal with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to the dealer yesterday. They stated it needs a new Catalytic Converter which is covered under warranty. They ordered the parts and should be in next week. I asked how this could happen with only 38K and 4 years old? He said maybe the car sat awhile before I bought it and had some carbon buildup? Its a bit concerning with only 38K. Anyone ever try to clean the carbon build up with CRC GDI Intake valve cleaner? Is his explanation even possible? I don't know the car's maintenance history so a bit hard for me to understand it? Should I have them inspect anything while replacing the converter?

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
49 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday. They stated it needs a new Catalytic Converter which is covered under warranty. They ordered the parts and should be in next week. I asked how this could happen with only 38K and 4 years old? He said maybe the car sat awhile before I bought it and had some carbon buildup? Its a bit concerning with only 38K. Anyone ever try to clean the carbon build up with CRC GDI Intake valve cleaner? Is his explanation even possible? I don't know the car's maintenance history so a bit hard for me to understand it? Should I have them inspect anything while replacing the converter?

Thanks
What engine does your Sorento have? We're at 63k on a 2016 2.4L AWD, with no problems so far.

-SM2016

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
490 Posts
Not sure how carbon buildup would cause a cat to fail unless it was so bad it caused misfiring which you could notice and which the diagnostic system would have lit up the dashboard. The cat has become so critical to the overall emission system that it is monitored very closely and the systems are designed to not let it be sacrificial but I also suspect there is such a thing as an improperly constructed converter from the factory.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Dealer's explanation unhelpful. Let's go back to the prior post:

"... the first step is to figure out what killed the converter. Most things that kill a converter should have already thrown a code indicating the root cause (e.g., bad air/fuel ratio, misfires and a couple of other lesser knowns). Is this the first code you've seen, or were there others before? Unfortunately, chances are that you won't know, since you got it used not that long back."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.
I’m so confused everything was listed on my profile except 3.3l v6..... didn’t the 2016 Sorento SX only come with a 3.3l v6....:? The SXL was available with 2.0T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer's explanation unhelpful. Let's go back to the prior post:

"... the first step is to figure out what killed the converter. Most things that kill a converter should have already thrown a code indicating the root cause (e.g., bad air/fuel ratio, misfires and a couple of other lesser knowns). Is this the first code you've seen, or were there others before? Unfortunately, chances are that you won't know, since you got it used not that long back."
Thanks, yeah no lights in 5 months and no other stored codes. Guess once it’s fixed I’ll keep and eye on it maybe even get some live data.

thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,865 Posts
What engine does your Sorento have? We're at 63k on a 2016 2.4L AWD, with no problems so far.

-SM2016
I’m so confused everything was listed on my profile except 3.3l v6..... didn’t the 2016 Sorento SX only come with a 3.3l v6....:? The SXL was available with 2.0T
It helps avoid folks that would like to help you that may not be too familiar with your specific model asking the same question as above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts