Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum has helped me out alot in solving problem with my 1997 KIA sephia GS 1.8l.. Recently my check engine light came on and went to local shop to get scanned and the code was P0420 catalyst efficiency in bank #1.. WHat does it mean? how can i fix?? I recently changed both 02 sensors... Could they have gone bad so soon.. My car some times shuts off while driving,, and the rpm gauge idles funny, the car shuts off but turns back on again... Hopefully we can resolve this problem??? Thank You once again.. oh my car gas 37k miles....

·
Registered
107 Posts
sounds like you need to repalce your cats (Catalyctic converters) when a Cat is plugged, it causes alot of problems, your sounds like its half plugged or something, That code usually referrs to the Cats, have those checked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by rob061883@Jul 24 2005, 09:01 PM
This forum has helped me out alot in solving problem with my 1997 KIA sephia GS 1.8l.. Recently my check engine light came on and went to local shop to get scanned and the code was P0420 catalyst efficiency in bank #1.. WHat does it mean? how can i fix?? I recently changed both 02 sensors... Could they have gone bad so soon.. My car some times shuts off while driving,, and the rpm gauge idles funny, the car shuts off but turns back on again... Hopefully we can resolve this problem??? Thank You once again.. oh my car gas 37k miles....
If your car only has 37k on it then you should be able to get a new cat for free cuz in the U.S. all original cats are under warrenty for 80k.

----------------------------------------------------------
Check out
www.kia101.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
unless your warrenty coverage has been dropped if you signed up for "extended" warrenty with KIA before they offered it as standard, take it to the dealer, they should cover it, if not then they should cover it anyway (based on the info Jason said). They can not get out of the emissions laws, tehy are required to service/repair a vehicle that is letting out too many emissions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.