Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I started up my Rio this morning I could feel the engine shuddering a little and my CEL started flashing so I shut off the engine. Gave it a few seconds and then connected my scanner and restarted the engine, got a "pending" P0302 code and after restarting the engine was running normally, so I let it run for 5 minutes and all seems well so I drove it to work without incident.

So was it probably just a glitch or is something likely going bad on my engine. If I had to guess it would probably be the coil since it's just cyl 2, and I replaced the spark plugs 2 months ago.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,316 Posts
If you don't already do so, I recommend adding a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner to your next tank of gasoline. Beyond that, an OBD realtime datastream reader (Torque app for Android, …) is often very helpful in diagnosing many problems, including misfire.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got an OBD II Bluetooth scanner somewhere, just need to find it and hook it up and see what it tells me.

As for fuel system cleaner, nowhere where I live sells the Techron stuff, I usually use seafoam.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't use Seafoam myself and so I can't give a personal opinion about on it, but I'll also say that I've read some comments from others who have called it snake oil. No one can say that about Techron, because it's basically the same additive that most gasoline companies put into their top tier gas. But I'm not interested in getting into one of those useless arguments about stuff like this, so if your choice is to continue using Seafoam, then by all means carry on.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've got no brand loyalty for engine cleaners either, I've just used seafoam on my carbureted engines and it's worked well there. I've heard good things about Techron but as I mentioned I've yet to find it anywhere here.

I'll keep an eye on my engine with my Bluetooth scan tool and if it comes back on the same cyl I'll try swapping coils around and see if it follows the coil.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
Some people are totally "brand loyal".

There are a number of very good Fuel System cleaners out there.

(I've personally never tried Seafoam however.)

If you have a Canadian Tire nearby, THIS ONE will work just fine.

Richard

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
One important thing to look at with your reader are the fuel trims - short and long term, especially the range of values for STFT.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
It may or may not be a pending problem waiting to rear its ugly head.....
But then again it could have been a speck of fly poop on a sensor that caused it to hic up.
You state the vehicle is running fine now....I hope it continues to do so.
Try not to worry about it until something really goes wrong and you can diagnose it....

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 5
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I would update, I've now driven 300 Km since I had the problem and it hasn't come back, so I'm going to say it was probably just a glitch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts