Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Spectra Auto
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a perfectly running spectra but it was recommended that I get an engine wash because my car had a lot of salt and corrosion in the engine bay from being a new york car.

THERE WAS NO CEL OR CODES TO BEGIN WITH.

So I had the engine washed and the first time I picked it up the car ran terribly and started misfiring in cylinder number 3. It was realized water got there so everything has been dried out and all spark plugs have been replaced.

The car runs and drives "ok" now, but I notice at a stop light it seems kinda shaky while idling.

I am no longer getting a misfire code, the only code I am left with is P0171.:confused:

Based on the story above, does anyone have an idea of what might have happened? I know testing needs to be done as it could be a few things but does anyone have a hunch or can they point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help,
 

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
Joined
·
6,922 Posts
I was pm'd and responded with MAF/PCV/connections.
Dave
 

·
Registered
2003 Kia Spectra Auto
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was pm'd and responded with MAF/PCV/connections.
Dave
pm'd back, thanks,

My info should have been updated, but in this first post I forgot to mention the car in question is a 2003 kia spectra automatic tranny with 103k.

Thanks again guys
 

·
Registered
2003 Kia Spectra Auto
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updating this thread because I hate when people find the solutions to their problems but leave everyone else in the dark on the thread.

The problem ended up being my rear o2 sensor.

My MAF was checked and cleaned and deemed ok after testing but for some reason the fuel readings were terribly out of spec.

Spark plugs were changed and still nothing.

Remember, my engine was washed and the initial problem was water got into spark plug hole 3 and caused a misfire on cylinder number 3.

While misfiring, the system dumped a bunch of fuel onto the rear o2 sensor clogging it up and deeming it useless.

After it was replaced I no longer have a CEL or issues with the fuel readings. Everthing coming from the ECU is within factory specs again and I even have better fuel economy now.

I am posting this to help people in the future as I was not throwing a CEL code for o2 sensor when that ended up being the problem.

Thank you to everyone for your help and I hope this helps someone else in the future!
 

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
Joined
·
6,922 Posts
Thanks for posting your findings... You are correct on others not posting what solved their problems...I cleaned my 06 Spec SX engine compartment and got water into the #4 spark plug well... about two weeks later I got a CEL for #4 plug mis-fire P0304. removing plug and drying out #4 well solved the problem. So even with the plug wires sealing against the well it sucked in water. The new plugs and cleaning the MAF didn't hurt either...
Again thanks for the follow up...
Dave
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top