1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P0560 - System Voltage Malfunction
P0171 - System too lean bank one

I am getting these 2 codes. The symptoms are that sometimes I am having difficulty starting. Engine Cranks but does not start. Takes 3 -10 tries before it starts.

List of parts replaced:

Timing belt
Spark plugs
Fuel pump
MAF
TPS
Battery was tested and was determined to be fine.

Currently at a loss could it be a faulty ECM? Are those 2 codes related?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
If you did not diagnostically prove the need for the listed parts (guessing), you are throwing parts/money at an unknown issue....

P0171 indicates a lean condition (vacuum leak)...

Have you connected a "LIVE DATA SCANNER" to the OBDII, if yes post the running data.... Philip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Courtesy of DavesSpectra...

The P0560 is saying it was looking for a higher voltage from the charging system than what you have (12.8)...Now you need to find out why.

With the engine running the voltage should be above 13v. More like 13.4~13.8v.
Unless it was a poorly made/rebuilt alternator I would be looking for corroded connections on the battery and/or alternator. Check the ground wire from the alternator frame to the engine block or body/frame for corrosion/tightness. Also check the battery (-) negative wire to the body/frame (both ends).
Early KIAs are known for bad/oxidized connections.

There are two wires that plug into the alternator...the smaller one should have 12v (12~13.8v) on it when the ignition is turned on. This is the "enable" line that turns on the alternator so it can charge the battery. If that voltage is missing the alternator will not run/charge.

If the wires/connections/enable line are good you may have a bad alternator.
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info

Thanks for the reply.

List of parts replaced and reson:

Timing belt Belt was loose and it was time for a new belt (155000 km)
Spark plugs Plugs needed to be changed
Fuel pump Fuel Pump was changed when I purchased the from the used car dealer
MAF Changed because I got a MAF error code and tried to clean it but it never went away
TPS Got a TPS error and sometimes would not accelerate when pressing on gas pedal

I will get live data and also freeze frame data from error code

I also got a new error code last night P1614 MIL request circuit - high voltage

I also thought about a vacuum leak for P0171 but after inspection I could not find a leaking hose.

·
Registered
10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Sport, 05 Volvo XC90 2.5T, 01 Kia Sportage 4x4 Convertible
30 Posts
Darn I also just got a P0171 and P0136.

P0171 = I will try cleaning the MAF sensors. Which one to replace??? The one by the intake manifold or one by the air intake tube?
P0136 = I ordered the downstream O2 sensor from ebay (denso 234-4686).

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Sport, 05 Volvo XC90 2.5T, 01 Kia Sportage 4x4 Convertible
30 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

List of parts replaced and reson:

Timing belt Belt was loose and it was time for a new belt (155000 km)
Spark plugs Plugs needed to be changed
Fuel pump Fuel Pump was changed when I purchased the from the used car dealer
MAF Changed because I got a MAF error code and tried to clean it but it never went away
TPS Got a TPS error and sometimes would not accelerate when pressing on gas pedal

I will get live data and also freeze frame data from error code

I also got a new error code last night P1614 MIL request circuit - high voltage

I also thought about a vacuum leak for P0171 but after inspection I could not find a leaking hose.
Darn I also just got a P0171 code... When you replaced your MAF, which one did you replace? The one by the intake manifold or the one by the air filter tube?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
There's only one its located in the air tube near air filter. Before replacing it have you tried cleaning it with map sensor spray cleaner. Don't throw $ away. The sensor over the spark plug access is the idle air control ( i a c ) sensor. The one opposite the throttle cable connection is the throttle position sensor (t p s ). + 1 on checking for vacuum leaks & electrical connections.
hope this helps, former Jersey Boy sure miss white castle .
chief

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
The MAP Sensor has the big connector and is black plastic cylinder shape. omly one per engine.

Inspection1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature and let it idle.
2. Connect a voltmeter between terminal 4 (RED/GRN wire) and ground.
3. Verify that the voltage varies between 0.8V-1.2V.
4. Rev up the engine and verify that voltage varies between 3.5V-4V.
5. If the voltage is not within specification, replace the mass air flow sensor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's only one its located in the air tube near air filter. Before replacing it have you tried cleaning it with map sensor spray cleaner. Don't throw $ away. The sensor over the spark plug access is the idle air control ( i a c ) sensor. The one opposite the throttle cable connection is the throttle position sensor (t p s ). + 1 on checking for vacuum leaks & electrical connections.
hope this helps, former Jersey Boy sure miss white castle .
chief
Gotcha, that's what I thought. There is only 1 MAF. Thank you and will try cleaning it first with the MAF cleaner spray. WhiteCastles = Awesome!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The MAP Sensor has the big connector and is black plastic cylinder shape. omly one per engine.

Inspection1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature and let it idle.
2. Connect a voltmeter between terminal 4 (RED/GRN wire) and ground.
3. Verify that the voltage varies between 0.8V-1.2V.
4. Rev up the engine and verify that voltage varies between 3.5V-4V.
5. If the voltage is not within specification, replace the mass air flow sensor.

Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
P0136 = Fixed... After replacing the rear (downstream) O2 sensor. Got lucky with a Denso sensor from Ebay for only $38 shipped.

P0171 might have been related as CEL turned off... And no current error codes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts