Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Code P0128 kia sephia

Code just came on 4-days after I purchased the car. Is this a common code? Replace thermostat? Is there a TSB on this issue?

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,857 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually read that post. Just wondering if this is a common problem and if running the 192 tstat worked. I can't even find a 192 tstat for a 2k sephia.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,069 Posts
Same P0128 Code!! Does anyone have any additional info on this??
There's a good deal of information in post 2 , what more do you think you need?

Please update your profile detail, ......at least location and vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,069 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
38 Posts
2000 Kia Sephia (just purchased): My check engine light is on and this is the code I get.

I do plan on changing the tstat, just to make sure its working properlly. However, I've read a bit about this being an issue with the ecm, etc and using a 192 tstat. So, what would be the best fix?!

I do plan on changing the tstat, just to make sure it's working properly. However, I also read about using a 192 tstat to avoid getting the check engine light. Does anyone have a fix?

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts
2000 Sephia: I do plan on changing the tstat, just to make sure it's working properly. However, I also read about using a 192 tstat to avoid getting the check engine light. Does anyone have a fix?
Post a link to where you heard/read that.

What makes you think that the stock thermostat wont work?

Please keep this to one thread, this one.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess the stock temp. is 180. However, I read on here this is a common code on my model due to the ecm and a fix is to use a 192 tstat.

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts
I guess the stock temp. is 180. However, I read on here this is a common code on my model due to the ecm and a fix is to use a 192 tstat.
For us to get a better understanding, post a link to the threads or external links here.

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts

Plan too LOL :) Just looking for first hand knowledge on this issue.
That first hand knowledge would be to install a new thermostat with a high probability of that resolving the code, and in the unlikely event that it doesn't, investigate further for possible things like a faulty temperature sensor [the one used by the ECU, not the gauge].

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,857 Posts
That thread is not "your model"...
Yes, but same T8D engine plus same ECU management from june 1999 to march 2004, so the information found there, applies.

That first hand knowledge would be to install a new thermostat with a high probability of that resolving the code...
Yes, maybe...

... in the unlikely event that it doesn't, investigate further for possible things like a faulty temperature sensor [the one used by the ECU, not the gauge].
Certain T8D engines has those two temperature sensors, but later sephias likely has only one temperature sensor for Both functions; check my quoted post below:

Single Coolant Temperature Sensor, Setup:

Dual Coolant Temperature Sensors, Setup:

So, this information might help:

... found this on another fourm: KMA has since received reports of DTC P0128. they found the production start dates change the thermostats, interchangability codes (ITC) and the ECM and thermostat "set" part numbers. Previous information in the 2001 parts catalog may have caused inadvertant use of incorrect parts.
ok here goes.
Determine if the vehicle falls in the production date range for THERMOSTAT MONITORING. Vehicles built before 09/18/00 (4DR) or built before 10/02/00(2DR) were NOT equipped with thermostat monitoring. If you have a Kia with a P0128 code built before those dates wrong parts may have been installed. Rather then chasing the other codes it will generate, first check the following.
2.Check installed thermostat and P/N. Vehicles built before 06/17/00 it should be equipped with thermostat P/N OK9FC15 171, KE5D3 15 171, or 0k01C 15 17Y. Vehicles built AFTER 06/17/00 should use P/N 0K013 15 171 or set P/N 0k01C 1517Y.
The earlier ones are distinguished by a secondary thermostatic valve on them, the newer ones have a little rivit floating in a hole on them, also the newer one is a 195 degree thermostat.
3. Check the Engine Control Module P/N on label on module. The P/N for the ECM without Thermostat Monitoring is: OK07A 18 1881 for both the 2dr and 4dr models. The P/N for ECM's with Thermostat Monitoring are: 39100 3X100 (4dr) and OK07A 18 1881A(2dr). use the right set with the right ECM. This is why the P0128 code pops up.

so you have to have the right thermostat with the right engine module. I also changed the intake air monitor sensor. Be sure to use a new gasket, as the gasket material also changed from paper to a rubber/paper type , add a little Permatex blue gel. seems to working now.

theres more;
The intake Air temperature rationality check (we all need one of those don't we) monitors the sensors circuit as well as informs the ECM weather the signal matches the expected value or range for the circumstances. For example if the IAT signal reads extremely high or low, the ECM would conclude that the signal is incorrect and would store a DTC PO111. The ECM can also determine the faulty sensor by comparing the IAT sensor signal to changes in coolant temperature over a certin period of time

Personally, if your cooling system is in order, install a 195F thermostat.:D
The other thing I would do is check the connector and wiring at the plug and make sure that all is clean and solid.:cool:

Hope some of this helps.
Keep us posted on your results.

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Sharing my very own experience with that issue

In my personal case, our "KiaStein" which is another 2000 Sephia that runs with a 2003 Spectra engine, has the Check Engine light comes and goes due to that Temperature being reported as Below specs; since we acquired this car, used.

Despite of having everything great on the cooling system, and despite of trying with different thermostats, the light randomly came On and went Off; sometimes it went away for a whole month, sometimes it stayed like forever, and suddenly went Off for a week... and so on...

What I did (Which I do Not recommend) is to completely Remove the Thermostat for testing purposes; I removed it long years ago because here at the Caribbean Never snows; and I've noticed three things:

1) The same faulty code / same check engine light Behaviour persists identical, with or without the Thermostat there are absolutely No change at all.

2) The engine only needs five more minutes on early mornings, to reach its normal operating temperatures, and the needle stays rock solid where it should be during all day long; if the car gets parked for three hours then restarted, it only takes a couple of minutes to be back at normal operating temperatues again; also it doesn't matter if it is driven on a Hot day on horrid traffic jams, or on freeways at high speeds on Cold days; with or without A/C, the temperature stays where it should be. Never goes too low nor too high... only goes an hair low with A/C during long downhills on cold rainy days... but still the temperature is good.

3) Since the car behaves identical with the standard Thermostat, the Higher temperature thermostat and without thermostat at all; I decided to leave it Without Thermostat since long years ago; the Check Engine Lights still comes and goes Randomly, always on same Temperature code, but simply I don't care anymore...

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was my first thought, that it was def. the same engine and most likely the same computer. This is what I was looking for!! First hand experience!! My interpretation, is I should be running a 195 tstat for my vehicle, climate, etc.

Is there any downside to running a 195 vs 180??

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
... Is there any downside to running a 195 vs 180??
Yes:

►The radiator's Main Fan could be "On" for more time, because the Thermostat's Temperature will not match the Thermoswitch's Temperature.

► The engine will keep working Hotter for prolongated periods, wich has its downsides, you know.

However, you might try with that 195º F thermostat, if the issue persists, you can go back to your old 180º F one.

Kind Regards.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts