Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on my 02 Sportage.. Last week I got a P0128 Code so I replaced the thermostat and added a Gasket to the Thermostat housing. The code went away but popped back on today. I noticed it was running a little hotter than usual today as well. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,932 Posts
I need some help on my 02 Sportage.. Last week I got a P0128 Code so I replaced the thermostat and added a Gasket to the Thermostat housing. The code went away but popped back on today. I noticed it was running a little hotter than usual today as well. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
If its staying steady at that spot on the gauge, then it confirms that the new thermostat is working, but a higher temperature value than the previous one.

The error code indicates that the previous thermostat was stuck open, which made you accustomed to seeing the gauge lower - maybe others with the same model can confirm where there's runs.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
228 Posts
My 01 runs dead in the middle. Even after removing the viscus fan clutch and fan and installing an electric fan it still stays in the middle. That seems a little high on what you're is showing. I'd check and make sure the gauge is reading correctly. If it is, check your radiator for blockage restricting coolant flow.

Steve 2001 Kia Sportage Limited 2WD USA

·
Registered
426 Posts
Air in the System, do these cars need to be burped?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Air in the System, do these cars need to be burped?
They do. Squeezing the upper radiator hose, is the easiest method.

edit: Gauge in cluster should be middle, or slightly under. Try another Thermostat if needed, always had good luck w/ the Stant "SuperStat" 180 degree part in the Sportys here.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
228 Posts
Air in the system will cause a hot spot and not flow good, and it will make them run hot if there's alot.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excuse my ignorance on this, but I'm still learning as I go with this car... 2002 Sportage with 114k on the odometer. The car seems to be running great, but no matter where I look I can't seem to find this issue. I should note that the tempature gage warms up and stays right in the middle. The problem is that the engine itself seems to be running excessively hot. So much that it's almost to hot to even open the hood after it warms up. I'm not sure if this is just how these cars run or if there's an underlying issue somewhere. Here's a list of the parts I've replaced to get engine lights off and to make it run decently.
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Fuel Strainer
Thermostat (180 degree)
Thermostat Housing Gasket
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Coolant Temperature Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Topped coolant off and burped radiator

The last code it threw was P0128 which I hope I've solved by replacing the thermostat, CTS and burping radiator.

The fan runs, it seems to be pumping coolant through the radiator fine and everything else seems to check out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Is the viscous fan clutch on the motor / the radiator fan working properly ( turning with minimum resistance when cold, fully engaged when hot ) ?

That gauge reading looks much better, BTW. Right where it should be.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the viscous fan clutch on the motor / the radiator fan working properly ( turning with minimum resistance when cold, fully engaged when hot ) ?

That gauge reading looks much better, BTW. Right where it should be.
Yeah it seems to be working properly. It turns normally until it warms up and then kicks into higher gear as needed.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
228 Posts
What I'm seeing on you temp gauge, that looks great. What does it do with a/c on? If you got or can borrow a contactless thermometer, the kind that has the laser pointer on it, check the temperature at your t-stat and a few other metal parts on the engine, not the exhaust though. If it's reading about the same plus or minus a few degrees, you should be ok.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Strangely enough after it warmed up this is the tempature reading I got from the coolant hose... Maybe it's just how these cars run I don't know. I haven't had a car that physically feels this hot in the engine bay before but the thermometer doesn't lie lol. I guess everything is okay?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I'm seeing on you temp gauge, that looks great. What does it do with a/c on? If you got or can borrow a contactless thermometer, the kind that has the laser pointer on it, check the temperature at your t-stat and a few other metal parts on the engine, not the exhaust though. If it's reading about the same plus or minus a few degrees, you should be ok.

Tempature stays the same with the A/C on, and the tempature on the thermostat while warmed up is around 154.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Your cooling / temp. #'s look excellent there.

It's true the 1G 2.0l motor (IIRC) runs a bit hotter vs. other motors, as the motor is geared for torque (vs. speed), and has the viscous fan clutch on it. Important to keep up w/ the checks & maintenance (coolant, oil, etc.) on these motors.

But if it is excessively / 'insanely' hot under the hood, that could mean:
---
Skipped timing belt, or incorrect static mechanical timing, (excess fuel),
Exhaust system issue: Cracked exhaust manifold, or a
Exhaust restriction due to cracked -> blocked pre-Cat. -> main Cat -> Muffler
---

* Above info is strictly FYI - not saying your Sporty has any of these issues, just letting you know possible causes "if" you feel there is a greater issue down-the-road ... and need to investigate.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your cooling / temp. #'s look excellent there.

It's true the 1G 2.0l motor (IIRC) runs a bit hotter vs. other motors, as the motor is geared for torque (vs. speed), and has the viscous fan clutch on it. Important to keep up w/ the checks & maintenance (coolant, oil, etc.) on these motors.

But if it is excessively / 'insanely' hot under the hood, that could mean:
---
Skipped timing belt, or incorrect static mechanical timing, (excess fuel),
Exhaust system issue: Cracked exhaust manifold, or a
Exhaust restriction due to cracked -> blocked pre-Cat. -> main Cat -> Muffler
---

* Above info is strictly FYI - not saying your Sporty has any of these issues, just letting you know possible causes "if" you feel there is a greater issue down-the-road ... and need to investigate.
I definitely appreciate the information and will keep an eye on things!

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the old 02 I've been working on. Our daily driver is a 2021 Toyota Highlander, but the sportage is just a back and forth to work vehicle for me. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions to keep it up and going! 🙏

1 - 16 of 16 Posts