Kia Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,279 Posts
no news yet, but they are inclined to think it's the high pressure fuel pump.
For what you're spending for diagnosis, I would like to believe they will do a mechanical fuel pressure test and not simply rely on the pressure reading from OBD. Not very confident that will actually happen however.

I'm always interested in what these stealerships charge for their work, and I'll make a guess of a $900 estimate from them to swap the HP pump, if that's what they do diagnose. Did you by chance ask your indy guy what he would charge to do that pump?

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
another update, I went to KIA and spoke to the lead mechanic there about the symptoms im experiencing, and everything that has occurred up to this point. He is inclined to think now it could be an electrical problem, like a kink in a harness or something, he believes the car starts because heat has a role to play in to the no start issue. it is starting because once the engine cools off, it starts. a cam sensor, knock sensor, and map sensor share the same harness, apparently.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So, the dealership had the car for a week. The mechanic was unable to replicate the issue, so I took the car home, and it died. I called over, and he allowed me to face time him, He suggested to hold the start for 10 seconds to see if the engine would turn over.which i did. i drove it, and it threw a p0355 Crank sensor. He suggested to replace that, it was most likely the failing part. I am happy to say after driving the car long distances, im unable to repeat any no start conditions, this post will hopefully serve as a guide for future people on this site seeking help to narrow down their issues. in my case, so far it appears to be a bad sensor. Thank you for all that contributed. and hopefully this all helps someone save 3 weeks of diags.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,279 Posts
Well that's quite an odyssey you had there! Although the P0355/crank sensor seems clear enough, the repeated starting when you sprayed starter fluid in doesn't seem to fit in with a bad crank sensor. I guess it could have just been pure coincidence, but it looks like that's all history at this point. Glad to hear it's been resolved!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
107 Posts
This has been a very informative series of posts. Very helpful. Those electrical/sensor issues can be very hard to find since many times they are intermittent.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts