Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, car died again. Currently waiting for the tow to bring it to the shop. I’ll probably get the car back at at the end of the week, and let everyone know what failed.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
499 Posts
kiaguy002 gives good advice....listen to him!

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,277 Posts
Well, car died again. Currently waiting for the tow to bring it to the shop. I’ll probably get the car back at at the end of the week, and let everyone know what failed.
Not a big surprise, but sorry it's going to cost you $$ to repair. If you have not already done so, you can mention to them that it was firing up on starter fluid. Although professional mechanics usually don't want suggestions from owners, in this case they probably would appreciate know that, and it might save them a bit of diagnostic time getting to the correct pathway. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a big hit to your wallet.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Not a big surprise, but sorry it's going to cost you $$ to repair. If you have not already done so, you can mention to them that it was firing up on starter fluid. Although professional mechanics usually don't want suggestions from owners, in this case they probably would appreciate know that, and it might save them a bit of diagnostic time getting to the correct pathway. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a big hit to your wallet.
I trust the guy, and he's not generally known to be a ripoff. but, ill let everyone know. I appreiciate the help KIAGuy. Thanks for helping narrow down some root causes and determine it's not the sensors.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I trust the guy, and he's not generally known to be a ripoff. but, ill let everyone know. I appreiciate the help KIAGuy. Thanks for helping narrow down some root causes and determine it's not the sensors.
Good to hear you have someone working on this that you know and can trust! And AFA the help, your welcome but it's very much a 2-way street. We give advice to lots of people on these forums, but it's uncommon for anyone to actually take and act on suggestions and carry on an intelligent conversation. Most of the time someone posts a problem and is either never seen again, or maybe just gives one or two half-baked replies. So it was a pleasure to actually work through the problem with you!

And I also have to mention that I wasn't eliminating the sensors as having possible problems. About the only fairly certain thing is that the sensors are not the cause of the no-start. Yes, it could be that a fuel issue is messing up the ECM, and the codes are being caused by that. However, it's also possible (although I hope not) that there is more than one problem with your vehicle, which is causing those codes to be set.

Which of those is the case will be determined once the fuel issue is fixed. And although we've been talking about a fuel pump issue, even that's not certain either. Things like a partially blocked/collapsed fuel line are still in the mix. That's why we always want to do diagnostic testing, before making any repairs. Hope it's back on the road and running well for you quickly!

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Update: so I got the car back after four days at the mechanic. He's unable to replicate the problem. I have been running errands all day periodically stopping in the hopes the car will not turn over. But, it's not failing... Will update when I have additional information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
To be honest I was in traffic and there was a lot of cars honking, it was stressful so I didn't check.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
To be honest I was in traffic and there was a lot of cars honking, it was stressful so I didn't check.
Yep, I can understand that completely. Try checking when you get a chance - pending codes don't turn on the CEL, and they sometimes hang around for a while before getting purged.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Oddly enough, went to look for new cars today. Car died at the dealership. Waiting an hour for him. Attempted to start the car to make sure when the mechanic got it. It wasn't starting. Car turned over while the Truck was there. I'm thinking I'm going to take it to Kia at this point and have them diagnose and fix it

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
.... I'm thinking I'm going to take it to Kia at this point and have them diagnose and fix it ...
Good luck with that. Although I'm a DIYer and don't have personal experience with them, my opinion of the typical stealership service department is low, based on numerous sad reports posted on these auto forums by vehicle owners. In your place I'd prefer to stay with the indy guy, assuming he's still willing to look at it. But I also understand how frustrating this has been for you and perhaps the Kia tech who works on your vehicle will know what he's doing and not be just another part-hanger. In any case, be sure to fill up your wallet before you take it to Kia.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I’m only going to get a diagnostic. To pinpoint the problem. I have a feeling they aren’t going to be able to replicate the issue

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,393 Posts
Good luck with that. Although I'm a DIYer and don't have personal experience with them, my opinion of the typical stealership service department is low, based on numerous sad reports posted on these auto forums by vehicle owners. In your place I'd prefer to stay with the indy guy, assuming he's still willing to look at it. But I also understand how frustrating this has been for you and perhaps the Kia tech who works on your vehicle will know what he's doing and not be just another part-hanger. In any case, be sure to fill up your wallet before you take it to Kia.
Agree, its hit and miss finding a dealership with a well educated mech/tech that has training on diagnostics of modern computer control systems, let alone any brand specific training.

My expectation is that they'll offer whatever the check sheet points to as the problem, and which part to replace, and even if you paid them to do that and it doesn't remedy the fault, you'll pay for that and their next attempt.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Agree, its hit and miss finding a dealership with a well educated mech/tech that has training on diagnostics of modern computer control systems, let alone any brand specific training.

My expectation is that they'll offer whatever the check sheet points to as the problem, and which part to replace, and even if you paid them to do that and it doesn't remedy the fault, you'll pay for that and their next attempt.
What options do I have? I can’t figure a way to replicate the problem. And the Indy guy won’t keep the car forever. I’m kinda out of options.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,393 Posts
What options do I have? I can’t figure a way to replicate the problem. And the Indy guy won’t keep the car forever. I’m kinda out of options.
Understand, my comments were more an alert to know what to expect and be as prepared as you can.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts