Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 kia sorento
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right after having our oil changed, we got a check engine light. The code was P0021. I took it to the dealer's service center who first suggested we trade in our 2012 sorento for a new one. And then recommended replacing the entire engine for about 5 grand. All based on this code without seeing any problem in the engine! Anyone have a more reasonable opinion?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Sounds like faulty Oil Control Valve. If I were you I would get away from that dealer. Run. Never look back. Find a dealer that actually knows what they are talking about. Replacing an engine over an OCV....umm, no.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
842 Posts
Do you have a 4 cylinder or a v6? If it's a 2012, it should still be under warranty and they should repair it no charge.

That could be a costly repair at another facility. I would just go to another Kia dealer or complain to the Kia about the dealer.

They did document your complaint, what they found and what they recommended, right? That's the best way to keep them honest. Once it's documented, you can take it to another dealer and/or Kia.

·
Registered
2012 kia sorento
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a v6.

We already have 66384 miles, so we are on the extended warranty now. They declared it due to engine sludge and therefore not covered by the warranty.

We put miles on it so fast, we did go too long between oil changes last year. Didn't realize how many miles had gone by. And they did notice sludge. But since then we've been really careful and changed the oil again right at 3k miles later. And this light came on after that oil change.

We'll do the next oil change right at 2-3k miles and switch to a high mileage synthetic. I'm learning all this as I go. Just ordered my own code reader too.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
How many miles between oil changes?

Some have found Auto-Rx useful for cleaning out sludge. You might try it, and follow the instructions exactly. This will clean the engine, but won't help if there is already damage. http://www.auto-rx.com/instructions-plus.shtml You don't need to follow the Auto-Rx maintenance plan of adding more every oil change, but do follow the original cleaning for sludged engines exactly. Use conventional oil, not synthetic for the clean and rinse mileage.

The Pennzoil line of regular (not high mileage) synthetic oils are getting a reputation as better at cleaning up an engine than most oils. If you don't try the Auto-Rx, you might try one of these oils.

The so-called oil for high mileage engines are oils that are a bit thicker, but still within the specified viscosity range, and may contain additives that slightly swell seals to slow or stop minor leakage. They are more of a marketing triumph for the oil seller than a pancea for a worn engine.

In your Texas heat you might consider a 5W-30 oil instead of the usual 5W-20. The 5W-30 doesn't thin as much when hot. The 5W-20 is spec'ed for a coupl'a percent fuel savings.

·
Registered
2012 kia sorento
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly don't know how long we let it go last year. But we did have it changed in March and then 3k miles later in May (last week). I'll talk to our mechanic about both the auto-rx and the penzoil.

I read scary stuff on the internet :confused: about additives like auto-rx doing more harm than good. Anyone have personal experience with it?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
Since it is a V6, the first thing I would check is that the correct oil filter is installed, or if the correct oil filter is installed, that it is installed correctly and not broken. Either scenario could cause low oil pressure, which will cause the CVVT system to malfunction, possibly causing the code you have.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
361 Posts
^ This. Make sure the correct filter is in, and it is in there correctly. There is no legit way to clean an engine of sludge, this may be why they quoted a new engine. Make sure the basics like above mentioned are correct first, if they are and your engine is screwed... maybe shop for a used one from a junk yard car. Cheaper.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
I honestly don't know how long we let it go last year. But we did have it changed in March and then 3k miles later in May (last week). I'll talk to our mechanic about both the auto-rx and the penzoil.

I read scary stuff on the internet :confused: about additives like auto-rx doing more harm than good. Anyone have personal experience with it?
Your mechanic won't know anything about it. Yes, I've used Auto-Rx with good results. It can't do any harm. I do not like the strong solvents used for quicky engine cleaning--Sea Foam in the crankcase, etc. They have the chance of loosening a lump of sludge that then fouls the oil pump pick up screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts