Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX 2.4l Fwd
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me which side is bank one? Its the 2.4l Sorento. Everything ive read is referring to the v6 Sorento. And any advice on this code?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated and helpful at this point.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX w/EX tech package
4,657 Posts
What are you looking to do? Bank one and 2 usually refer to o2 sensors. Your 2.4 has one upstream o2 and one downstream o2 sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but the repair manual says that error code is the crankshaft to camshaft position sensor correlation Bank One so I'm not totally sure what that mean by bank 1 myself. I guess I might try the sensors maybe im not sure

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,675 Posts
Yeah but the repair manual says that error code is the crankshaft to camshaft position sensor correlation Bank One so I'm not totally sure what that mean by bank 1 myself. I guess I might try the sensors maybe im not sure
It should not be assumed that the sensor has failed - it is merely a diagnostics pointer indicating the the signal received from the sensor is not in synch with the crank sensor, and could be the VVT oil control valve, but diagnostics is needed to clearly identify the cause.

What's the mileage?
What's the service history - oil and oil filter change interval?
What oil and oil filter used?

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has 183000 miles on it. The oil has always been changed every 3500 miles with synthetic w5-20. I'm not sure what filter was used before but I know a k&n oil filter just came off it. I checked the wiring to the intake side on both sides. I watched something that said I could try to clean the vvt oil control valve but idk if thats something I should do or not.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,675 Posts
If there's any sign of sludge, then yes the VVT oil control solenoid is a likely cause and worth inspecting, but doing some diagnostics viewing the live data will confirm.

Does it reach normal operating temperature, and does it get there promptly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just drained the oil last night and it looked ok but it looked metallic kinda. As for it hitting operating temperature it does. I don't think it does real quick but ill check in a bit. And I have a diagnostic tool that I have to get from my buddy and I can graph the value.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,350 Posts
There is no 'bank' on a 4 cylinder inline engine.
Cylinder #1 is closest to the front of the engine, transverse mounted on the passenger side, where you can see things rotating while engine is running. Then #2 -4 cylinders as you progress towards the drivers side. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no 'bank' on a 4 cylinder inline engine.
Cylinder #1 is closest to the front of the engine, transverse mounted on the passenger side, where you can see things rotating while engine is running. Then #2 -4 cylinders as you progress towards the drivers side. Hope this helps?
Thats what I thought but im by no means a master mechanic. Just a self taught wrenchmen. With this code it says bank 1 which it doesn't make any sense. And on the 4 cylinders they have two vvt oil senders and two crank and cam shaft sensors. I'm about to pull the value cover and make sure it didn't jump timing. Because I drained the oil and its quite metallic looking

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,675 Posts
That looks like the white metal from the bearings, and if it is, the engine needs to rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would that be magnetic and what could/would cause that? It showed no signs of any motor issues. It ran fine the morning of and after about two it started right up and threw that code. Also with 180,000 miles would I be better off rebuilding or buying another one? If thats the case. It is/was great motor.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,675 Posts
Bearing white metal is not magnetic.
Insufficient oil pressure would "wipe" the bearings.

If you're after maximum reliability then a factory re-manufactured engine, or look for a lower mileage engine from a wreckers yard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got to say this I loved this Sorento. I mean LOVED this Sorento. Now that I'm getting to work on this thing more im starting to really dislike this thing. By dislike I mean HATE. Why did they put the a/c compressor bracket to the oil pan? This thing is ridiculous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts