Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
For about the last month, 07 EX 3.8L began hesitating under light throttle input. At first just in 1 st gear. Now in just about all gears between 1200-1500 RPM. Van began bucking pretty good around 35 MPH (3rd gear?). Never threw a code, so the dealer "couldn't" diagnose the problem. Finally it threw one the other day. P0012 Bank 1 cam timing sensor. I'm guessing they are not covered under power train warranty? Is this a DIY job? My concern is limited access to the bank 1 cylinders. But I'm not even sure where the sensor is.

Thanks! Great forum!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The sensor is actually pretty easily accessed, and is no more involved than changing bank 1 spark plugs. If you are the original owner, and have less than 100k miles, it is under warranty. If not, the sensor is conveniently located on the edge of the valve cover. It is held on by a single 10mm bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
P0012 is a code thrown by a failed oil control valve (Timing over-retarded). Where did you get "cam timing sensor"? Replacing the oil control valve gets a little bit more involved than cam position sensor. My Sedona had an OCV fail at ~78k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P0012 was the code my mechanic got when the CEL came on. Matter of fact the diagnostic machine mentioned timing retard 2000- 3000 Rpm, did not say anything about oil control valve. Van is still under the power train warranty. CEL is on and off intermittently the last few days.

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
OCV replacement would fall under the powertrain warranty. It is a pretty involved repair, requiring tearing out both intake manifolds, and the fuel rail. According to Kia's Diagnostic Trouble Code manual (found by registering at kiatechinfo.com), P0012 = A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1). The two causes it gives are failed OCV or failed CVVT assembly. I very seriously doubt it is the CVVT assembly itself, especially considering it is not unheard of for an OCV to fail. The OCV regulates the oil pressure in order to advance and retard the intake timing at different engine speeds. It takes failure in two consecutive driving cycles to illuminate the CEL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Value Kia (in Philadelphia Pa) service writer said he doubts the OCV is covered under the powertirain warranty. Being that it's "attached to the engine". He could not get his computer to pull up the code I gave him. (slow computer).

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
If you are the original owner (100k powertrain) then they should have to cover it. If you are a second owner (60k powertrain) then it's your problem.
Dave

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Why would an essential part of the powertrain not be covered under the powertrain warranty? That's like saying the camshaft isn't part of the powertrain warranty. Would it be overly-difficult to go to a different dealership? Philly has to have more than one dealer....and it sounds like I would avoid the dealer service department you went to at all costs. P0012 is the second code listed in the DTC manual!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They called me later to tell me it was covered, but they couldn't get the parts till Monday. I use this dealership as a matter of convienence, but this will be the last visit. Shortly after we bought the van, the rack and pinion developed a slight leak. The Service manager at the time said to me (with a straight face), well that's to be expected, all cars seep fluids...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, thanks you for the intel, made it much easier to make the service manager realize he couldn't pull the wool over my eyes!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The Service manager at the time said to me (with a straight face), well that's to be expected, all cars seep fluids...
I'm not even going to respond to that....just...wow. Anyway, glad to hear they are covering it. I hope for your sake the mechanics are more competent than the service manager!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts