Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Found this forum so thought I might join up and add some photos of my new SLS.
I am enjoying seeing everyone else's cars and reading all the helpful hints and great posts.
Absolutely LOVING my new Kia Rio....have had her for nearly a week now.
This little car is awesome!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Kia Pro_cee'd GT Tech
85 Posts
Wicked, great pics.

Such fun to drive. And it sticks to the road so well. Love the Contis on it :)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
Looks so clean. Mine dont stay clean very long.

You got red pin-striping around the rear diffuser and the front grille?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Metragnome. Definately fun to drive.....im finding an excuse to drive anywhere and everywhere at the moment lol. And the looks it gets....ive had people waiting for me in the woolies carpark to ask what it is haha.

It had just been washed and waxed TJ85 :D
Yeh, just experimenting with some striping. Dont want to go over the top, just some subtle touches.
Liking what you are doing to your car btw.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX
18 Posts
Hi all. Found this forum so thought I might join up and add some photos of my new SLS.
I am enjoying seeing everyone else's cars and reading all the helpful hints and great posts.
Absolutely LOVING my new Kia Rio....have had her for nearly a week now.
This little car is awesome!! :D
So did your Rio come stock with those emblems?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must say that as much as i love my Rio I am a little concerned now for any issues that may arise in the future with my car.

When my car arrived and I went to collect it, I found very deep and very noticable scratches in the mute button on the steering wheel. When I saw it I commented on it and they said that at my 1000 complimentary service they will replace it under warranty.....well, yesterday I was told Kia wont cover it under warranty....WTH...i didnt scratch it, they did. The dealership disagrees and are replacing it at their cost.
I know its only a button, but if they wont cover a $5 button that came with the car damaged what happens if something big goes wrong??

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
Take it to a different dealer. There is nothing to say you have to stay with the one dealer and it always helps to get a second opinion. Some may put buttons down as wear and tear items and others would replace it no questions asked.

You just need to find a dealer that your comfortable with

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy with the dealer so far just a bit disappointed in Kia themselves. Not to worry, button is being replaced today and complimentary service being done.

One hour highway drive to the Kia dealership. Fantastic drive down the range. The Rio corners almost as well as the Cooper S i last drove down that range. Impressive!!

Got 5.6L/100. Getting happier with my purchase of the Rio as each day goes by :D

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swapped out the stock bulb to the new Narva Intense bulbs the other day.
I must say, they are brilliant. Ive read bad things about Narva's older bulbs but i would recommend these ones if you dont want to bother with HID. They put out a whiter light and a lot more light.

Found one thing i miss from my previous car....speed alert! Havent had a speeding ticket for a while so yesterdays ticket was quite disappointing.
Did give me a laugh that the officer had to come back to the car to ask what it was though :D

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
as far as the speed alert goes, just use cruise control.

Kia may have rejected the button being changed as yes it is a wear and tear item, and the dealer may have explained it to Kia in a lazy way 'customer has scratched steering wheel button, wants warranty on it'.. instead of 'customer declared scratched item on delivery, changing under warranty on complimentary service'.

I wouldn't worry too much about them, i've heard nothing bad.

I'm jealous of you people who return fuel economy in the 5's! We've never done better than 6.7 on highway trips, but that's with a manual and at 110 the whole way. 100 would make a big difference. The auto seems to get far better economy as its left foot doesn't get tired from shifting gears every 4 seconds. Also the manual can't activate a lock-up torque converter like the auto can to drop the revs a little. I'm guessing yours is an auto?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Swapped out the stock bulb to the new Narva Intense bulbs the other day.
I must say, they are brilliant. Ive read bad things about Narva's older bulbs but i would recommend these ones if you dont want to bother with HID. They put out a whiter light and a lot more light.
Hey there, I been looking at putting new bulbs in as well....just wondering if you did it yourself... I looked at the left side where the battery is and there aint much room to move.

Also where did you get them from and how much? If you dont mind me asking :)

·
Registered
85 Posts

I'm jealous of you people who return fuel economy in the 5's! We've never done better than 6.7 on highway trips, but that's with a manual and at 110 the whole way. 100 would make a big difference. The auto seems to get far better economy as its left foot doesn't get tired from shifting gears every 4 seconds. Also the manual can't activate a lock-up torque converter like the auto can to drop the revs a little. I'm guessing yours is an auto?
I've done 2500km in 1 month and have averaged just on 7L/100km.... I do mostly highway driving to and from work and lots of short stuff in between. Havent been able to get the the trip comp under 6.2 and even then I think the trip computer is fudging. At each fill up I have around 6.6 on the trip computer and the actual calculation on fill up is pretty much 7.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep agree there :) Still using 98RON at just under $1.50AUD a litre and better off than someone driving a commodore or falcon.

Gave a mate a drive the other day who runs a BMW X5 and he was like "WOW"...couldnt believe the drive and features and fuel economy.... he said the beama is around 15L/100km. YIKES!!

:D

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Kia may have rejected the button being changed as yes it is a wear and tear item, and the dealer may have explained it to Kia in a lazy way 'customer has scratched steering wheel button, wants warranty on it'.. instead of 'customer declared scratched item on delivery, changing under warranty on complimentary service'.

I wouldn't worry too much about them, i've heard nothing bad.

You are more than likely spot on about the button. Probably just not explained properly by the dealer.
Good to know people havent heard anything bad.

Nah.......I own a manual :D Heading down, I sat on around 105 most of the way and achieved the 5.6, coming back I was sitting at the same speed and was getting 6.1. Around town im getting around 7.5.
My last car was between 9-10 so im definately happy with even the 7.5.
Best things about an auto would be not changing gears every four seconds lol.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey there, I been looking at putting new bulbs in as well....just wondering if you did it yourself... I looked at the left side where the battery is and there aint much room to move.

Also where did you get them from and how much? If you dont mind me asking :)
Yep did the bulbs myself and there is stuff all room to move. The hardest bulb to change was the low beam passenger side, the fuse box made it really difficult and quite frustrating. Fog lights were a bit hard too. Had to feel my way around cause you cant see a damn thing unless you want to jack the car up.
I got them on Ebay. Heaps cheaper than anywhere else. The whole lot including postage cost me $230. Came nicely boxed up, Express post :D
I can look for his name later if you like.

I'll post up some photos of the lights tonight if I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
You are more than likely spot on about the button. Probably just not explained properly by the dealer.
Good to know people havent heard anything bad.

Nah.......I own a manual :D Heading down, I sat on around 105 most of the way and achieved the 5.6, coming back I was sitting at the same speed and was getting 6.1. Around town im getting around 7.5.
My last car was between 9-10 so im definately happy with even the 7.5.
Best things about an auto would be not changing gears every four seconds lol.
if i sat on 105 i reckon i'd get something similar, or at least drop down to 6L/100 - every KM over 100KM/h is a big drain

most of the time it's with two adults and luggage in the car when i give hwy figures

around town we do get 9L/100 but it's melbourne peak only.. canterbury road the whole way which is one of the worst roads in melbourne. It barely gets a chance to heat up before stopping 8KM later, so it's always running cold rich mode.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep did the bulbs myself and there is stuff all room to move. The hardest bulb to change was the low beam passenger side, the fuse box made it really difficult and quite frustrating. Fog lights were a bit hard too. Had to feel my way around cause you cant see a damn thing unless you want to jack the car up.
I got them on Ebay. Heaps cheaper than anywhere else. The whole lot including postage cost me $230. Came nicely boxed up, Express post :D
I can look for his name later if you like.

I'll post up some photos of the lights tonight if I get a chance.
That'd be cool, thanks :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts