Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across something weird on the weekend. The wife and i piled into the new Rio and went for a trip up to the NSW border. Half way there we stopped to get some high quality, totally healthy KFC. While that was a bad move in itself, we discovered a strange issue with the cruise control.

The SLS in Oz is fitted with the start button. When we came back to the parked car with the food, we unlocked it, got in, hit the button once to activate ACC mode, and sat there eating, listening to the radio. We took our time and probably sat there for an hour in all. All done, started up, and merged onto the highway. Turned cruise on, then hit set, no dice. Cruise would activate, but not set, no matter what we tried. We then stopped the car, turned it off, started again, tried to set it again, still no cigar. Stopped again, got out, locked it, unlocked it, got back in, started, hit set and after about 30 seconds from restarting, it finally worked. We then stopped later for another rest, same deal, sat in the car and had a drink for about 10 mins with the ACC on again, then started up and got to speed, went to set the cruise, no dice yet again. Had to get out, lock, unlock, start again, and AGAIN after about 30 seconds it wold allow setting the speed again. However if you stop the car, get out or sit there without ACC on, or only have it on for about 5 mins, it does not encounter the issue, at all. It only happens when sitting there with ACC on for about 10 mins or more. If you still don't get the sequence, read what i typed again, i know it's a bit much to take in one shot.

This is a really weird issue, and i can't figure out why it does it, maybe something to do with the start button being a bit of an afterthought? Not sure. Safety feature? lol not that it makes sense.

The only way to eliminate the "lock out" of the cruise is to lock the car, and unlock. Then a roughly 30 second timer still locks the cruise out once moving (over 40KM/h obviously) but then enables the function again.

It doesn't affect us at all, as long as we don't sit there for too long, or have the ACC switched off.

Just thought i'd put it out there.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the same issue with the 2011 Sorento. Couldn't pin-point the cause, though. o_O
that's interesting to hear, was it after sitting in the car with the ACC on for more than 5 - 10 mins? also did it go away on its own or does it still play up?

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
922 Posts
I honestly didn't find the cause of it, but the fix was pull over; turn off; key out; lock; unlock; key in; start 'er up; off you go.

I traded in the vehicle in mid-Dec last year, along with my Rio. Rio because of petrol fuel economy and Sorento because every time I looked at a dirt track, I couldn't help but go down it. The potential to break things was too high...
Its an off-road monster, though. :D

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I 'think' i might have linked this issue to the door locks for whatever reason. We do a lot of highway driving and that's when we experience it. Last time we locked the doors with the button on the dash while we were sitting there, and when we drove off after well over 30 minutes, the cruise worked. So it may be an electrical gremlin linked to that.

yet to confirm though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts