Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6; 2014 Forte EX fully loaded
46 Posts
I have a question, I read on one of the eBay sellers that was selling the hid kits that when you install the low beam hids that the high beams will no longer work, is this true? Also, it has H11 bulbs stated, but doesn't have (low) next to it, are they the same? I would like to get these, but I want to make sure my high beams work as well.

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
After all the rave reviews, I bought a set myself. I should get them in a few days. You are just replacing just the H11 low beam bulbs and doing nothing to any other wiring. This will not effect high beam at all... just realize that your high beams won't be HID (but this shouldn't matter to you). The only difference with the HID is that just like a fluorescent bulb, it takes a ballast to create enough voltage to ignite the HID. I read some where that it's about 20,000v, not that it matters. But my point is that it's basically plug and play with the existing wiring. If you screw up the high beams from a low beam HID install, you did something very wrong.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a question, I read on one of the eBay sellers that was selling the hid kits that when you install the low beam hids that the high beams will no longer work, is this true? Also, it has H11 bulbs stated, but doesn't have (low) next to it, are they the same? I would like to get these, but I want to make sure my high beams work as well.

You will not sacrifice your high beams at all. You really can't use the HID system for your high beams because there is about a 20 second warm up delay time on the HIDs so if you went to flash to pass it would be with them being very dim anyway. I would suggest you replacing your H1 High beam bulbs with a whiter burning regular bulb such as a "silver star" brand color corrected bulb to better match the color temperature of the HIDs. I didn't do this yet but I will in the near future.

·
Registered
09 borrego new 03 dodge diesel
82 Posts
do you mind saying where you bought your hid kits? I would like to buy a set Thanks

·
Registered
2009 Borrego Limited
39 Posts
I'm thinking for doing this upgrade, and had a question for the people that have actually done it so far....

Have any of you paid close attention to the way the headlight assy mounts, and is there any kind of modification that could be made (cutting the tabs a little shorter, modify the bumper/grill area, etc.) to make it so that the headlight modules could come out much easier the next time a bulb needs to be replaced?

If nobody has looked into it yet, maybe the next person that does their headlights could investigate it some. I will not be able to do mine until either the middle of November, or the week of Christmas, but if someone hasn't looked into it by then, then I will try to see what can be done and document it.

I'm ordering my HID kit this week, so I can be ready when I have the time to do it.

Thanks,
Butch

·
Registered
2009 Borrego Limited
39 Posts
Yes the LED's on the door panels and the LED's in the Taillights come standard on all trim levels here. Even the Base LX V6 has them. This surprised me a lot, because those LED's are just so unique. They make the car look more luxurious. All my Friends are like: ''WOW they are amazing''. I think you can order the LED Taillights from Korea like you did with the Wind deflectors. They really make a difference. Add this mean look that the truck deserves. All the best. :)

If someone comes up with a place to order these OEM LED taillights and part #s and prices, please post here. I would be interested in changing to those, as long as they don't cost two arms and a leg!

I checked a few "Korean" parts places, and they don't seem to have Borrego ones yet, so I have thought about just making my own. Not that hard (not that easy either!), but gotta have the time to do it, and do it RIGHT. Usually easier when you have a spare set of taillights to work with, so the vehicle can still be driven while doing the mod.

Would just be easier to get the OEM ones...

Thanks,
Butch

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I would like the LED tails also, I contacted one place in Korea but they sent me the shadow sheet and parts numbers for the regular ones I have not the LEDs.

You really can't modify the headlight pods to come out any easier without making them loose in there moorings. I'm guessing KIA figured at best they would be pulled 2 or 3 times for the life of the Truck so they didn't make it really consumer friendly to remove.

"HIDs" This is the e bay seller I got mine from, here is the link. Make sure to tell them you want the newer smaller Xentec ballast they are much nicer. The one they show in the picture is the bigger version. They exchanged them for me. I have the 6000K color, they are only very slightly blue.

KIA Borrego HID Xenon Converstion Kit 2009:eBay Motors (item 350247708885 end time Oct-02-09 02:03:21 PDT)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just bought the Xenon HID kit (H11 at 6000k) from ebay. I also picked up replacement high beam bulbs (Xenon type, non-HID). I bought both now so I don't have to take out the headlight pods twice. I can't wait!!

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Installed my HID kit. Only difference was I bought the 5000K bulbs. The results are excellent. Very happy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Installed my HID kit. Only difference was I bought the 5000K bulbs. The results are excellent. Very happy.
I'm glad. They saved me the other day when a huge Deer buck decided to charge the Borrego the other nite while I was driving. They light up the road so well I got a glimpse of him coming at me way off the roadside thanks to good illumination, and slammed on my brakes in time not to hit him. They already have paid for themselves.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I finally got the last of my bulbs in the mail on Friday. It took 2 days for the HID kit to come in the mail (California to Ohio), and it took 4 days for the high beam (non HID-Xenon type) bulbs to come in (again Cali to Ohio). I installed them on Friday evening after work. It was quite an ordeal indeed!! I read everywhere that the headlight pods were difficult to get out and they were. I'm glad I used EXV8's idea with the tape and spatula. That did help out quite a bit, I think the paint would have been scratched without it. I started with the passenger side first. The snap type connector was hard release, but eventually came free. As I was pulling out the pod I heard something fall into the engine compartment, and I came to find out that it was that plastic connector. I had to hunt for it inside the bumper afterwards because you need it to properly put the pod back in.

Actually wiring the lights was pretty easy. The HID kit was really plug and play. The high beams were a piece of cake to switch out. Took about a minute a piece and the original screw on caps can still be used. I also used some electrical tape to cover the low beam holes. There is one weird thing about the high beams bulbs though. When I turn them for the first time they flash for half a second and go out. I have to turn the brights off and back on again and then they'll stay on. If I turn them off and back on from there they work normally. I emailed the seller on eBay about this, still waiting for a response.

For the driver side I decided to try and replace the bulbs without taking the pod out. It took a little bit longer, but I was able to replace both bulbs successfully. I did have to take off the hood sensor thingy while doing this and also the fuse box cover. It was a bit cramped to work in, but was much easier than taking out and putting back in the pod!!!! I wish I would have done that for the passenger side because today I had to take the passenger side pod out and put it back correctly because it was not in flush all around.

All in all it was a huge pain to put them in, but it was worth it in the end. I took it for a drive when I was done Friday night and the lights are AWESOME!!!! They lit up the entire road, it was crazy bright. I am not used to that at all. They totally beat the standard halogen OEM bulbs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update....Today I went back and drilled the screw on caps out for the rubber bushings on the HID bulbs. I kept thinking that some moisture or crude would get inside the bulb housing. It looks a lot more professional now. I also took the high beams out and replaced them with the original OEM bulbs. The replacement ones from eBay kept on turning off and I said heck with it. I didn't notice any difference in light intensity between the two (I know they were not HID), so I'm only out $9.95 because I don't want to spend to ship them back to the eBay seller. With the stock bulbs everything is back to normal. I probably won't have to use the high beams much because the HIDs are so bright! I think I've done everything right, so I can rest easy for now.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts