Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Finally Got The Fricken Headlight Pods Out And The HID System IN!!!

OMG what an ordeal. I must say however the HIDs are the BOMB! What a difference they make in night time illumination. They are not easy to install, of course the second one went much better than the first. Well worth the $49 I paid for the whole system.:D In fact I'm going to order a second system just to have extra set of bulbs/igniter's because the whole kit at $49 is cheaper that just buying the bulbs alone and this way I will also have spare parts if I ever need them. First off the screw on seal caps had to be left off because the wires of the HID igniter's have to go straight out the back of the assembly. So I called KIA parts and was going to order a second set of caps then drill them and after installation seal the holes with silicone.. NOT!! After calling KIA I'm told the screw on caps can not be purchased separately and they are only sold with the whole pod assembly Oy again. So now knowing this I didn't want to drill the caps out just in case the HIDs don't work out for some reason in the future. So what I did was leave the caps off and closed the holes with strips of electric tape and this worked very well. The light pods are very hard to remove the way I did it jimmying them out without removing the front end but I did it using a very exotic kitchen tool :lol: (see pictures below) Another thing that surprised me was the headlight pod is internally pre wired with only one central plug in source, all powering headlights brights and turn signals.

picture #1 driver pod out and resting in giant hole
#2 ballast in place just in back of the head lamp pod area
#3 Test burn of Driver side HID, Pass side factory bulb on also (what a difference)
#4 removing passenger side pod with that special kitchen tool (don't tell the wife)
#5 Both HIDs installed and in full burn, install is complete.

System installed is Xentec with 6000K H11 igniter bulbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic 3 really shows the difference. Thanks for passing on your lessons learned.
Yes, and fortunately there is a lot of room behind and below the light pods for the ballast and extra wires. BUT unfortunately, not any room at all behind where the bulbs go so thats why the pods have to be removed to change the bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
did you compare glare? how does it work when is dark?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
did you compare glare? how does it work when is dark?
No glare problem at all. They really make a huge difference at night. Even road signs and stop signs just seem to glow when you approach them. Its a great improvement. So far I have only been flashed once by a Cadillac for being to bright. I did mark the pattern on my garage door and there is very little difference with aim and glare over the standard halogen set up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No glare problem at all. They really make a huge difference at night. Even road signs and stop signs just seem to glow when you approach them. Its a great improvement. So far I have only been flashed once by a Cadillac for being to bright. I did mark the pattern on my garage door and there is very little difference with aim and glare over the standard halogen set up.
I second that, mine made a great improvement as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, great job, what a HUGE difference! I wish I was more confident undertaking such projects. I almost wouldn't trust a shop, afraid they would scratch the car or break something inside. Obviously you love your baby and took extra care to make sure nothing happened to it, hence the green tape. Again, good work!

PS: Are the bulbs easier so change with this new kit?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I am VERY happy with this Xentec HID kit. The lights are fantastic. Its really not a hard install mostly plug and play the difficult part is getting the stupid lamp pods out of the truck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When you wired these, did you just use all of the existing wiring? No relays or anything like that?
Oh, and NICE JOB!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yup True, HIDs are 35 watts vs regular 55 watt bulbs. One of my ballasts became defective so the company (Xentec) sent me a new set of there new digital ballasts free of charge they are as big as a credit card now and only about 1/2 inch thick. If fact they are so small and light its allowed me to mount the entire system right to the headlight pods themselves my entire install is nicely self contained now to each pod. I will post some revised pictures with the new ballast installed directly to the pods. A real bargain for $49/US shipped!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you wired these, did you just use all of the existing wiring? No relays or anything like that?
Oh, and NICE JOB!
The Xentec system is 100% plug and play. It only uses the existing wires but adds a few of there own for connecting/adapting to specific car models and bulb types.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What is the headlight number that you used? I am going to buy a HID kit online (since I live in Aruba) but I don't know what type of bulb the Kia Mohave/Borrego uses...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great work man. I really want to put some too. Thank you for the link you provided for the panels. I appreciate it. But i could not find your HID set on there. E-bay is pretty vague too.Keep up the good mods man. Here, this is the URL of my youtube video showing my Mohave. I have the LED Taillights Installed. They are sick, you can see them at a point of the video (2:20 to be exact). So you better skip up to there. Also you can see the Middle Eastern set up of the Sat Nav. I hope you like it.
PS ignore my accent.... Its funny i know....:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Great video love the LEDs in the door panels I don't think we get them here in American versions. Are the LED tail lights standard? They are beautiful Im going to have to see if I can order a set.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes the LED's on the door panels and the LED's in the Taillights come standard on all trim levels here. Even the Base LX V6 has them. This surprised me a lot, because those LED's are just so unique. They make the car look more luxurious. All my Friends are like: ''WOW they are amazing''. I think you can order the LED Taillights from Korea like you did with the Wind deflectors. They really make a difference. Add this mean look that the truck deserves. All the best. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts