Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Kia Sedona 3.5L. I am trying to replace the oxygen sensor (Bank 2 sensor 1) and ran into a snag. I was unable to remove the bolt located beneath the sensor that holds the manifold heat shield on. I could not get enough "umph" with anything I had to loosen it. Anyone suggest the best tool for that?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gman2083, forgive me for "piggy backing" but the thread is similar to yours.

I recently installed a new alternator in my Sedona EX 2002 and when I road tested it, the check light stayed on. Had it looked at and was told that the oxygen sensor(s) didn't work. That fact is not supposed to be a problem as far as driving is concerned but eventually I'd like to fix that.

When I put the fans back in after installing the alternator I noticed one sensor on the front of the block and was careful not to touch it. If there are any others that the mechanic's scan code reader referred to - are they owner-exchangeable and how many are there? Can they be tested individually?

Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure that my Sedona (2004) has 4 oxygen sensors, two in the front and two in the back (or left & right side of the engine). My light has been on for a month or two pointing to the upper O2 sensor in the front of the engine. The van is running great, but just wanted to get the light off. The bolt located under the sensor doesn't want to come off and that is the only thing that prevented me from changing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to get that bolt loose but I also ran into the "not enough umph" problem when I first tried to do so. I finally sprayed some WD40 rust buster on it, then put my wrench on it. I ran a piece of wood down to the other end of the wrench and banged it with a hammer a few times. It came loose right away so that I could finish removing it by hand.
My problem is I can't get the heat guard off to get the sensor out. I'm considering removing the cooling fan to give it more space or else using my dremel to grind the opening around the sensor a little larger in diameter to allow my tool to drop in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts