Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen recommendations for every 2 years or 50K for just about every other vehicle.

10 years or 120K can't be right.

Can I trust this?

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
well its the same in the Sorento maintenance schedule 120K or 120 months and after every 30K or 24 months IMO thats a little long for me and i will do mine a 60K as i am firm believer in preventative maintenance a little sooner is better and it doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
2 years seems a bit early to me.

Just about to get it done on Mazda6 after 9 years and 100,000 km. Coolant looks as good as new, but I think it should be changed. Handbook says 80,000km or 4 years, then every 2 years. Why 2 years? Probably so they can continue to hit you for unnecessary maintenance.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul +
34 Posts
Because the newer coolants are better made, just like oils.

If Kia says it in the manual, why wouldn't you be able to trust it?

You seem to be having a lot of paperwork/reading issues already based on your posts.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts

If Kia says it in the manual, why wouldn't you be able to trust it?

You seem to be having a lot of paperwork/reading issues already based on your posts.
well maybe its not a paperwork/reading issue i would guess its a new forum member with a new Soul and wants various view points on how to maintain his new vehicle it might be his first new car and we are all here to help whether they have paperwork/reading issues which i don't think is the case .:)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
More likely newer engines, being mostly all-alloy, have less requirement for corrosion inhibitors. I always considered renewing the coolant was necessary to maintain the level of inhibitor and flush out any debris. A fresh shot of coolant probably also helps to lubricate any seals in the system. The glycol (antifreeze) component is unlikely to be degraded.

Special note when draining radiator: Ethylene Glycol is very toxic and may be accidentally ingested by children or animals.

Merck Veterinary Manual

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul +
34 Posts
well maybe its not a paperwork/reading issue i would guess its a new forum member with a new Soul and wants various view points on how to maintain his new vehicle it might be his first new car and we are all here to help whether they have paperwork/reading issues which i don't think is the case .:)
Here, and on KSF, he has posted the EXACT same posts questioning Kia's suggestions and admitting he doesn't feel like reading for himself to get information, he just wants it all given to him by others. THAT is a reading issue.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Here, and on KSF, the OP has posted the EXACT same posts questioning Kia's suggestions and admitting he doesn't feel like reading for himself to get information, he just wants it all given to him by others. THAT is a reading issue.
If we all spent our time just reading, there would be no need for a forum. You will get a range of ideas on the forum and it does no-one any harm to have the questions asked. It's only by noting owners' experiences that an opinion can be formed.

Manufacturers' recommendations are often rather conservative, and servicing intervals are open to quite a bit of interpretation. Some items will be serviced/changed on a time basis irrespective of distance covered, and this can lead to over-servicing. Personally, I am always relieved when a car goes out of warranty and I can set the schedules myself and avoid the "$300 oil-change".

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul +
34 Posts
If we all spent our time just reading, there would be no need for a forum. You will get a range of ideas on the forum and it does no-one any harm to have the questions asked. It's only by noting owners' experiences that an opinion can be formed.

Manufacturers' recommendations are often rather conservative, and servicing intervals are open to quite a bit of interpretation. Some items will be serviced/changed on a time basis irrespective of distance covered, and this can lead to over-servicing. Personally, I am always relieved when a car goes out of warranty and I can set the schedules myself and avoid the "$300 oil-change".
I have a problem with him posting the EXACT phrase "I'm too lazy to read" which is exactly what he posted on KSF. If he won't even bother to read, why should we bother to post something to help him out? Wouldn't that involve reading too?

·
Registered
2012 Soul + automatic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am amazed at the vitriol in these threads.

In the time it takes to insult me, my question could have been answered or advice given.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul +
34 Posts
I am amazed at the vitriol in these threads.

In the time it takes to insult me, my question could have been answered or advice given.
In the time it took you to make the post, you could have searched for yourself.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
you have to follow the maintenance guide to maintain the warranty, if you wish to do certain items more often its your choice and your money. Also the same as to where you get it serviced, KIA would like you to use their dealers put its not compulsory.

I follow the recommendations put down by KIA, if they designed and built the car they know what is required to keep it in good running condition. Stating long periods before something needs doing would not be in their interest if it caused problems. I use my dealer for all my service requirements, treated me well for four years with my previous KIA, so no complaints.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts