Kia Forum banner

Overly sensitive keys?!

9K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Chicago2018 
#1 ·
Anyone else find their alarm going off, or the hatch raising all by itself, while walking around with their key fob in their pocket?

Happens to me ALL THE TIME! Its so bloody annoying. Not to mention unsafe when the rare occasions the car is parked outside and I look out the window and the hatch is open.

Anyone have solutions for taming this beast?

thanks,
Jab

#3 ·
My 2015 SX was sometimes the hatch, but mostly the Panic Alert. Probably a different fob design, but still a PITA. Purchased rubber FOB covers on eBay and that helped, but not foolproof. I carry in my front pocket. After a while I learned of placing the fob in my pocket with the buttons facing out helped. Especially if my phone is in the same pocket.

#4 ·
Happens to me all the time with my 19 EX. If I'm not paying attention, the rear hatch will open when I am near the rear washing it. I park it about 200' from the house under a carport and the alarm will go off or the hatch sometimes open when I am in the house. The key fob covers helped a little but didn't fix the problem.

#5 ·
I'm surprised that manufacturers in general don't put a lock out device or even a mechanical on/off switch on these types of fobs. This complaint isn't limited to Kia, I see it being talked about on the 4Runner forum I belong to as well as other brand specific venues. Do what you need to do, lock everything down and then just slide a switch on the side to the lock/off position until it's time to once again get into the vehicle.

#6 ·
Yes, I disabled the alarm on both my Sorrento fobs, see this video. Actually I had the things he referenced here but couldn't find them. I took the twisters you use to seal plastic bags, cut a small end off and used that to cushion where he is showing. You are not insulating anything electrical. You are just putting in a cushion or block, mechanically, to keep the fob from depressing the alarm accidentally. I have not tested but I suspect that if you really pressed hard you might be able to get it to go off. I have not used the hack to disable the hatch control. For some reason sometimes when I stick my head inside the back of the car the hatch starts to come down, I don't know if it's me setting off a sensor or me accidentally pressing the fob that I am holding in my hand. I was more concerned w/the alarm that I set off at least half a dozen times before I did this:

#9 ·
We got something like this for our Rondo several years ago and it still lives today:

The main reason we got it was that my wife lost her first fob, and this case allowed the keyring to keep the fob together.

The side benefit was that it kind of cushioned the fob, and my wife had less accidental pushes with this on her fob.

Reactions: NX-74205
#10 ·
We got something like this for our Rondo several years ago and it still lives today:
View attachment 116333

The main reason we got it was that my wife lost her first fob, and this case allowed the keyring to keep the fob together.

The side benefit was that it kind of cushioned the fob, and my wife had less accidental pushes with this on her fob.
Looks nice. Where did you find it AND is it a case where you would need to remove the keyfob to have it work or can you push the buttons through the cover? THX

#15 ·
The stupid panic thing goes off all the time for me. I don't know why they don't listen to all the complaints about them and stop putting that button on the remote. Do a google search and everyone hates the things.

What I would like is a key with no buttons at all. I never use the buttons on the remote. To lock and unlock the car I push the button on the door handle. To open the rear hatch I push the button on the hatch. (the auto hatch open is very unreliable and takes too long to activate when it does work right)

Unfortunately for 2017 UVO wasn't a thing like it was on the 2017 Hyundais.

#24 ·
The Fob looks the same as the 2015 but in less than 30 days of ownership of this 2019. The Panic has been set off at least 6 times, doors activated (lights flash as something was triggered) and I found my tailgate Open (up later in the day). Good thing it wasn't over night or during some heavy rains we've got.
Maybe the travel of the buttons are less or more sensitive. I haven't studied it but I mentioned it to the dealer who showed a new Fob design where the buttons are along the side.

#27 ·
I have opened the same Fob design used in the 2015 with great difficulty bruising the plastic as well. How are you opening this. Is there a trick? I did it to change the Fob batteries.

#29 ·
Thanks it is Smart Version on both, as they're both SX builds.

I believe I'd done it like that but found it hard braking the sides free.

FYI I bent over twice yesterday with nothing in my pocket and set off the Emergency horn. Maddening for sure, I'll look at the old link before do anything. Manual don't aid in opening these up.

#31 ·
Thx
I watch one and the guy used a screw driver. It split appart so easy. LOL
I used the key myself before. Maybe thats the trick.

I came across feeds which said you can remote start your Kia with a standard Fob like I have. Was by first pressing the door lock button and then the rear door right after. Hmm didn't work for me. This Sorento will remote start via UVO app so the stuff is there for it to happen. I got googly eyed watch a number and gave up.

#33 ·
I can remote start via the UVO App or via browser access to Kia UVO as my SX is configured. Hence there is control circuitry there. I figure it may have the fob sensing already there even though I didn't get the little extra remote. Video's show it happening on a variety of Kia. Although the year wasn't specified.

#34 ·
Actually, the remote start from the keyfob is apparently different hardware. You have to have the remote start option installed for the keyfob trick to work. FWIW, I can start my car with UVO from anywhere, but no go on the remote start with the keyfob.

#35 ·
I see now!!! Is it worth the hardware or just use UVO while available. Although is seem odd UVO can do it and not the fob but it would need a different or additional sensor for that input. Oh well, very interesting.

#37 ·
Yeah - if you've already got UVO, I'd just go with that. We get pretty cold temps where I live. It was actually cheaper to get a 3rd party remote start that has a longer starting distance than the Kia OEM remote start. Best $200 I've ever spent on a car.

#38 ·
yeah, I have to go out in the winter anyway, clear the window, roof etc. No remote is going to do that.

I am my Wife's Remote for her SX doing it all and turning on the heated seat as well for her. Other scenarios like coming out from a dinner or visiting could be useful. If I thought of it. LOL

#41 ·
So you have that extra remote for remote start? I was hoping to be able to just use my factory remote... however, having best buy install it and guarantee the work sounds more attractive...

Will wait until the next time when BB have another sale! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.