Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 kia sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in a collision with a barrier in a parking garage at a MAX of 20 km/hr.

My airbag deployed.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? There's no reason the airbag should deploy in a collision at such a low speed.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,927 Posts
There's no reports here of over sensitive airbags, but there's been a few complaints here that the airbags didn't deploy when the posters firmly believed they should have.

I would expect a 20 km/hr impact to deploy the airbags, but there's no way any of us can judge the severity of your impact, and I'd rather it go off light then too heavy.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,927 Posts
Is this related to the same incident at 30 km/h six months ago?

Hi all,

I was in a minor parking lot collision in which my front bumper was damaged and the airbag deployed (honestly no way I was going more than 30 km/hr). The car continued to start for days after the accident, but now only clicks when I try to start it up. All the electrical components work, including lights, radio, and wipers, but the car won't start. I haven't seen any signs of leaking under the car.

Is this a battery issue, or something more sinister? Please let me know!

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,927 Posts
You didn't engage in a previous discussion you started!!!!

·
Registered
2014 kia sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't believe you guys remember a post from six months ago lol honestly forgot I had already posted about this

I'm using 20 and 30 km/hr as estimates, it's a parking garage how fast could I be going ?

Why do the airbags go off at such a low speed? Pretty sure I've gone over the handlebars of my bike at faster speeds and suffered a scraped knee lol

·
Super Moderator
9,927 Posts
I'm using 20 and 30 km/hr as estimates, it's a parking garage how fast could I be going ?
Clearly fast enough for the impact to deploy the airbags.

·
Registered
2014 kia sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's an SUV not a sports car, if I slammed the pedal and traveled the 50 ft from one side of the garage to the other, I'd be going far less than school zone speed.

Like I said there's no reason for the airbag to go off at this speed.

Will the windshield wipers activate when the weatherman says it's going to rain next?

Just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can't believe you guys remember a post from six months ago lol honestly forgot I had already posted about this

Why do the airbags go off at such a low speed? Pretty sure I've gone over the handlebars of my bike at faster speeds and suffered a scraped knee lol
Going over the handlebars of a bicycle at 30km/hr can mean pretty serious injuries or death if the wrong thing is in front of you. Yeah you can get lucky too and not suffer badly. Same in a car, which is why you want the airbag to deploy at any speed that could cause injury.

Airbags are designed to deploy at 25 mph, so maybe yours was set a little low or you were going faster than you think. Most people aren’t routinely running into things at 25 mph and would prefer more protection rather than less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
413 Posts
Well 4 days ago in my region, the 47YO driver in this light accident died following airbag deployment. THe driver was going for a dialysis treatment and had tubes implanted in his body for this medical purpose....the airbag impacted the tubes and caused fatal internal bleeding....The car was an ex police cruiser

1 - 9 of 9 Posts