Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Kia overheats on steep hills works great on flat roads, Could it be thermostat, waterpump or radiator cap. Or just a powerflush

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Most likely cause is the clutch in the cooling fan on the front of the engine has gone bad. A common failure. If you don't get a loud "whooshing" noise when the temp gage goes above half then the clutch has gone bad. Replacement is approx $180 from the dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Axeman (aka Sportage guru; according to KP =) )
Is that the clutch fan/viscous(sp) fan you are reffering to? I think i had that problem I was hearing this loud "airy" "wooshy" sound coming from the engine bay when i would accelerate and I had to get that part replaced a while back.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by VinDiezel84@Mar 20 2005, 08:13 AM
Axeman (aka Sportage guru; according to KP =) )
Is that the clutch fan/viscous(sp) fan you are reffering to? I think i had that problem I was hearing this loud "airy" "wooshy" sound coming from the engine bay when i would accelerate and I had to get that part replaced a while back.

Yes, that's it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aloha,
I had a similar situation with my 2001 Sportage. Y(ou didn't say just how hot it was getting.) I noticed mine when the outside temperature was getting up there.
The AC wasn't as cool and the termp guage was getting warmer then usual. (usually it's always just below half.) I did a coolant flush and change and now she's just fine temp/wise.
Good Luck.
Kainui Kia

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello guys Just for your info, I just purchase a new fan at the Kia parts store in San Juan Puerto Rico, $100.00. This was for my 1997 sportage.

If you need help I'm willing to look up any parts for you guys and you can compare prices. Nothing for me just helping.

Thanks...

MATRUCO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts