Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, brand new to this. just got a second hand mentor as a runaround for my daughter Cant find a repair manual localy and engine has begun to overheat My guess is the thermo stat but I cannot locate it ot the engine.Does anyone know if engine is based on different makers car which I could then buy relevant manual which I expect Im going to need over next few months anyway

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
two questions: How old is the Mentor? and Have you checked the obvious: Fan(s) to the radiator and have you checked/changed out the anit-freeze solution for the radiator? i know those are dumb questions, but I just wanted to make sure.. most times it's the most SIMPLEST thing that is wronging your car.. :57:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ahfredrick I have so far done nothing I intend to do some basic checks tomorrow as I have been at work all week. I still suspect the stat but will have to find it first that is why I hoped to find a suitable manual I will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI found a leak...Coolant is leaking from a small pipe which appears to go to the head of the engine from the pump Does anyone know how this pipe is sealed or is this a sign of something more serious?. pump seems to be driven by the timing belt which I woud prefer not to touch as I have no reference points if anything moves.It is a 1988 model ahfrederick Id be glad of any advice as the next move is the local garage,since there are no kia dealers around here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Jock

I hope you got your Mentor fixed.

Just for your added info, the Kia Mentor aka Kia Sephia is one of the last Mazda-based Kias. The engine is similar to the early Mazda 323s.

A lot of Kia models were derived from Mazda and Ford such as:

Kia Pride=Mazda 121 (Ford Festiva)
Kia Besta = Mazda E2000 / Bongo / For Econovan
Kia Sephia = Mazda Familia / Ford Lynx

When Kia was taken over by Hyundai, the connection with Ford and Mazda ceased in favor of Mitsubishi-based technology

Boyd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts