Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know this issue has come up heaps but there has still not been much of a solution. I have a 2007 Sorento turbo diesel with overheating problems when it is towing. It seems only the automatic models suffer from overheating? would like to put a aftermarket automatic transmission cooler on the car and not run through the radiator. this might reduce the heat build up in the radiator and also cool the auto better. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
Any thermal load reduction on the radiator is going to help. Even an auxilury oil cooler would help. Space to put them is the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viscous fan works well as you can feel it pumping some serious air when it gets hot. Also it overheats whilst going 80 to 100 km/h. enough air would be passing through i would assume. Had another quick look under car and it will be a challenge to find real estate for the bigger cooler. will investigate after we come back from Fraser island. Ambient temps were around 25 to 30 degrees c.
Not sure jet but looks like there is a oil pipe that travels from one side of the radiator then loops on itself. I think this may be engine oil, if so would be easy to tap into and place engine oil cooler. This will help heaps as well, i think. Anyhow, enough of a rant.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Being a diesel the engine almost certainly has an oil cooler already built into the cylinder block. THe oil pipe in the bottom of the radiator is the cooler for the auto trans.

You might want to consider a fault that seemed to occurr to several of the diesel models, where the radiator core was partially blocked because the tubes swelled and almost closed off airflow, to many of the tubes. This is insidious because the radiator looks fine from the outside and works OK at low speed or light load, but just can't shift sufficient volume of cooled water at high speed or load. Many of these were replace under warranty by Kia.

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index...blem/page__hl__ sorento overheating__st__250

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
cmar is spot on. If there is even a remote possibility of a warranty issue you need to travel that path first. Also just cutting into a pipe and adding a cooler could cause you more woes than you want. After the dealer, research is your best bet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. will remove radiator and have a good inspection. talked to a Kia dealership and he agrees the auto transmission cooler add on would be great benefit. Standard is small and also in front of radiator, adding more heat. will leave the cutting of pipes as last resort. Anyone know if the affected radiators can ve visually identified? or is the swelling only under exessive heat and pressure?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its out of factory warranty so may need to foot a new radiator. Small price to pay for reliability i feel.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle and are you the first owner?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Yes the air cooler is in front of the radiator but so is the air conditioning condenser, and the intercooler. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for placing these things where they can get airflow but not easily get damaged. Apparently the affected radiators can be visually inspecrted. THe swolen tubes squash the fins up to the point that it is difficult for the air to get past in sufficient volume.
In the article I linked they suggested trying to shine a light through the radiator, but I guess if it is that bad, simple visual comparison with a new one should be sufficient. Apparently not only Sorentos were affected, a number of Carnivals also had the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts