Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My Sedona 2.9CDI has just suddenly started overheating, to which there is a loss of power. The temperature gauge reaches 3/4 mark, and the engine stays running (idling), but no power when you try to accelerate.

My temp gauge never usually goes above just under 1/2. This has literally just started happening, with no real reasons why it could have started.

One thing I have noticed but don't know whether this would cause it, there are two fans on my radiator, one mounted on the front and one mounted behind the radiator.

The radiator behind is working fine, but the one on the front does not seem to be coming on at all at any temperature.

Are they both meant to be on at the same time? Do they both run from the same sensor?

Any advice would great, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
kia sedona 2.9tdi 01, isuzui trooper 3.1td, Transit 2.4 2000
54 Posts
Hi. Is it loosing water, is the oil ok. I think front fan is air con fan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil seems fine, topped up water as it was a little low, maybe the system needs bleeding? Are you sure on the fan?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
Turn air con on - both fans should start at running temp..

always use coolant - not straight water.
Coolant has a higher boiling temp - so you don't get steam pockets around engine internals..

I would also run some engine decarb product thru your fuel.
Your engine cyl rings may be experiencing some blowback - effectively extra heat to cooling oil... check dipstick tube whilst engine running...

Otherwise - more specif info required re symptoms etc..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just taken the cap off the thermostat housing and completely empty, what's the best procedure for filling the system?

Thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
kia sedona 2.9tdi 01, isuzui trooper 3.1td, Transit 2.4 2000
54 Posts
fill with antifreeze mix with engine off. replace cap and start engine, put heater on hot run for a while. stop and check for leaks around pipe work. rear pipes to rear heater rust out and leak, this could be where you are loosing water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Overheating problem

Don't know if this will help or it's too late but have you looked at your manual fuel pump - the rubber bulb on left - it may be split and letting in air which is overheating diesel. I know cos this happened to me.

·
Registered
05 sedona 2.9crdi, nissan skyline r33
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

My Sedona 2.9CDI has just suddenly started overheating, to which there is a loss of power. The temperature gauge reaches 3/4 mark, and the engine stays running (idling), but no power when you try to accelerate.

My temp gauge never usually goes above just under 1/2. This has literally just started happening, with no real reasons why it could have started.

One thing I have noticed but don't know whether this would cause it, there are two fans on my radiator, one mounted on the front and one mounted behind the radiator.

The radiator behind is working fine, but the one on the front does not seem to be coming on at all at any temperature.

Are they both meant to be on at the same time? Do they both run from the same sensor?

Any advice would great, thank you in advance.
did you ever get to the bottom of your problem??

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi.

hope you got the solution to your overheating and acceleration problem. i had the same when i bought a 2nd hand carnival 2002.

brought it to a shop, they replaced fuel pump, removed catalytic converter and calibrated the injectors. at first it seems ok but later there was still problem in overheating. changed radiator and used antifreeze as coolant. worked well.

cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rear heater pipes

Hi,

Old thread, but just in case someone needs to know, I had the same problem last week. The water bottle was at the correct level. Turned out to be a hole in the rear heater pipe as it goes over the back axle. The hole let all the water out, and as there was no vacuum, it didn't pull any new water in, and therefore appeared to not need water. It's an easyish diy fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts