Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sportages temp used to run around 1/4, now it runs just under the 1/2 mark. Speeds over 35 temp stays just under the 1/2 mark, but when i slow down to 10-25mph for extended time or sit in stop and go traffic, the temp will climb. I have a new radiator, new water pump, new thermostat, the clutch fan seems to be working, and there is flow in radiator. Plus i had the system checked so no leaky head gasket. Is there a sensor, or maybe the radiator cap????

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,850 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

To me it sounds like a problem with the fan viscous coupling, which is a typical problem on these.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
649 Posts
Ditto on the fan clutch. Rather than spend money on a new one, I'd look at going with an electric. You should be able to do it for less than $100 with a thermostat. By the way, sounds like your gauge is right now running just under 1/2. I've had 4 sportages and that is where they all run when running right.
Just my 2 cents.

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty then, that sounds about right. Its funny cause i just had the belts and pulie changed out. The fan was out to and I didn't think of changing the fan. Thanks i'll have that done and get back to yall.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
Just to be sure, you can drill and pin the coupler, it will cut into the horse power, but should alleviate the heating issue.. Philip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts