Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: This is the first time for me to post anything. So, here goes...I have a question? I have a 1997 Sportage. Now it seems that the heating gauge has decided to go up and up. Normally it stays right around the middle. In last couple of months, the gauge has risen very close to the red mark...My husband has changed the thermostate, checked the hoses, changed the coolant. He uses the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method. Any suggestion as to what the problem could be? Verona

·
Registered
Kia spectra 5, Hyundai Santa Fe, Pontiac Fiero GT
12 Posts
Hi,
I had this overheating issue on my 97 kia sportage. It ended up being the heater core. (never would have thought it), but I guess if it lets out its pressure, the temp goes up!
See if your passenger compartment has a kind of "sweet" smell in it. If the coolant is leaking in the cab of the vehicle, you will sense a kinda of sweet smell (especially with your heater is on)
My heater core had only a hairline crack (no gushing river or anything)
The coolant does not run in the floor like you might think too. It is behind all the dash, and is difficult to get to! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check also the possibility of flawed fan operation. It uses a silicon-based fluid. After some years it tends to leak/evaporate. That prevents the fan to reach maximum rpm that results to constant overheating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts