Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2016 Sorento EX 2.0T to the dealership for an oil change, knock sensor software update and some other minor complaints. I brought my own Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 which they had no issue using. The jug was 5 liters so I was expecting to get it back with a bit of oil left over. I did not get the jug back so I assume they just dumped it all in. I believe the reservoir is 4.8 liters. The level on the dipstick is about 1/4 inch above full. Am I okay running it here or should I drain a bit (which would be a PITA!)?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Bring it back to the dealer and show them and then ask why a trained
tech/employee did not read the stick before giving it back to you.
Let them fix it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I had the 2.0 turbo, it was _always_ overfilled, even at the best of the two nearby dealers.

So I had the service writer include a note, "Do not fill above top mark on dip-stick", which was a pain to remember when I brought it in for service, but it worked.

Some might say, "Oh, it'll burn off as you drive, don't worry", but it never did burn off at all, and I drove it pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Not disagreeing that overfillng is to be avoided. I've been DIYing oil changes for 50 years, and have always been careful to fill the correct amount of oil.

That said, it's a curiosity that Kia/Hyundai decided to intentionally start overfilling the oil in their GDI/Turbo Thetas by around 2/5 quart, presumably in an effort to save some of them from the engine failure which had previously affected many thousands of their vehicles. The automakers obviously decided that the negative aspects of overfilling were not significant enough to outweigh the benefit of potentially avoiding running with fatally low oil levels. Not offering any opinion or judgement about what they did - just stating the facts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I responded to the service department email survey by saying I wasn't impressed that the entire jug of oil was used and overfilled the reservoir. The service manager replied and agreed with me and offered to drain and refill with fresh oil to the correct level at no charge. He also said that he wouldn't be concerned at this level of overfill. I had already driven 600 km and have not noticed anything unusual (water temp normal, no oil pressure warnings) so I said I will leave it as is.

You mention lower MPG though. I would have expected under 9 L/100km on my highway drive but calculated nearly 10. Could also have been the canoe on the roof and hatch filled to bursting with camping gear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also do my own oil changes, and never had a problem getting the fill point exactly. Seems to me it’s just a simple thing where the tech is not taking the time to top it off slowly and let it drain into the pan to make sure they get an accurate reading before adding more oil.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Was your Pennzoil jug 5 liters? If so, the extra .2 liters should not create any issues.
Overfilling in excess > .5 to 1.0 L may allow the crank to dip into the oil creating aeration issues (air entrapment).
In your case don't worry......

My Sportage 2.0 L Turbo holds 5.08 quarts. Silly really. I buy the jug of Mobile one with 5 qts and then have to purchase another qt to top her off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A little extra oil in the engine isn't going to do any damage.

I think it was in Korea where Hyundai/Kia actually replaced the oil dipsticks with shorter ones so they can pour in more oil without appearing overfilled. This was part of an engine recall, but I forget which engine it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
SorentoJimVDB
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing