Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
01 Sportage convertible 4x2 auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 Sporty is automatic. My trans will not shift into overdrive until about 1.5 miles from home or until the trans warms up a bit. It’s worse on colder days. I know it’s about due for a fluid and filter change but does anyone think that will cure my OD problem as well?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
632 Posts
Normal operation on older units. TCC apply into highest gear not allowed until a certain temp reached in the trans.
If you have not replaced your trans fluid in the past please do! Very important!
Newer models have TCC apply as early as 2nd or 3rd gear, just coming into closed loop fuel control. (~30 seconds)
Gotta have that fuel economy number hit for big brother!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normal operation on older units. TCC apply into highest gear not allowed until a certain temp reached in the trans.
If you have not replaced your trans fluid in the past please do! Very important!
Newer models have TCC apply as early as 2nd or 3rd gear, just coming into closed loop fuel control. (~30 seconds)
Gotta have that fuel economy number hit for big brother!
It shifted quite “normal” in the past. It went into OD whenever the engine load and vehicle speed met its “normal” prerequisites. It could be 10 degrees or 110 degrees. Didn’t matter. The car sat up for about 5 years. I’ve spent the past 3 months making repairs and putting it back on the road. Since I’ve been driving it again, it doesn’t shift into OD like it used to.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
New fluid should help, would recommend running it for 1k - 2.5k miles and doing a drain-n-fill: let your initial new fluid clean out some of the buildup in the trans from sitting so long, and freshen it up.

Also recommend checking the viscous fan clutch, make sure it is not stuck on 'full engage' at cold start, robbing heat at warmup,

only other item would be the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor: if no joy after new fluid / verifying fan clutch is free and linkage is free, may want to consider pulling the ECT sensor and giving the sensor a good scrub w/ a nylon brush - it may have got crudded-up w/ 'coolant slime', from the Sporty sitting for so long.

Hope this helps, GottaCruise

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
632 Posts
Ha! You never stated the vehicle sat for 5 years! This is a big deal!
Your lucky the trans shifts at all!
Get the fluid flushed out and replaced with a good synthetic ATF.
You may luck out and be able to drive her for awhile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! You never stated the vehicle sat for 5 years! This is a big deal!
Your lucky the trans shifts at all!
Get the fluid flushed out and replaced with a good synthetic ATF.
You may luck out and be able to drive her for awhile.
I started driving it again the first week of January. I drive an average of 100 miles a day. So yeah, I hoping the fluid change will cure the problem. I’ll let you know what the outcome is as soon as possible. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
190 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Complete fluid change last year with no change. No fan clutch, installed an electric system on mine. Warm weather I have no problem, 40°F and below, stays in third gear til it gets warmed up after a few miles. Has over 300k on it, I'm second owner. Sister inlaw bought it new and my brother said that's how it shifted from day one. I've had it over 3 years so I let it warm up in the winter season if I can.

2001 Kia Sportage Limited 2X2 USA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts