Kia Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige
Everlasting Silver SX Prestige

Hate
  • The exhaust. Sounds wimpy and farty.
  • The speed limit warning is useless in that you have to set it yourself.
  • Engine stop that you have to disable everytime.
  • Too touchy sunroof button.
  • 8 speed trans that you can feel every shift when cold.
  • Old emblems comapred to the new design.
  • High gloss black trim both inside and outside
  • Missing options especially seat memory
  • The bronze window trin that scratches if you look at it
Love
  • The look of the vehicle including the high gloss black trim (lol - it's a love - hate relationship)
  • The look of the black interior.
  • The accelleration.
  • The huge sunroof.
  • The ventilated seats
  • The heated steering wheel.
  • The high gloss black wheels with enough room to clean the wheel barrels.
  • All auto up and down windows.
  • That the wife loves it and scored some serious brownie points with the purchase.

Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD

Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
Everlasting Silver SX Prestige

Hate
  • The exhaust. Sounds wimpy and farty.
  • The speed limit warning is useless in that you have to set it yourself.
  • Engine stop that you have to disable everytime.
  • Too touchy sunroof button.
  • 8 speed trans that you can feel every shift when cold.
  • Old emblems comapred to the new design.
  • High gloss black trim both inside and outside
  • Missing options especially seat memory
  • The bronze window trin that scratches if you look at it
Love
  • The look of the vehicle including the high gloss black trim (lol - it's a love - hate relationship)
  • The look of the black interior.
  • The accelleration.
  • The huge sunroof.
  • The ventilated seats
  • The heated steering wheel.
  • The high gloss black wheels with enough room to clean the wheel barrels.
  • All auto up and down windows.
  • That the wife loves it and scored some serious brownie points with the purchase.
It's funny how we're all different when it comes to cars...I love to feel the dual-clutch 8-speed shift. It's a big reason I'd never buy a car with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). But to each their own. :)

Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Funny when I was in the market, I tested a Highlander and Ascent before making my purchase. The Highlander I drove was a 2018 v6 and felt rough, slow, sluggish and very unrefined. It was a total dud. The Ascent was a beautiful car, easily my favorite interior, but I absolutely hated the driving experience. That CVT ruins it. My second choice ended up being a Durango, but the prices were just too high.
....a Durango? What was that like? When I think Durango I think Dodge and that's usually not a good thought. LOL!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's funny how we're all different when it comes to cars...I love to feel the dual-clutch 8-speed shift. It's a big reason I'd never buy a car with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). But to each their own. :)
Yes I don't like CVTs either - I sold my 2020 Kia Soul because of it. Crazy story - I took it to Carmax and they gave me $20K for it and I only owed $20,080.00 on the lease. I whipped out my ATM card and paid it off for $80.00. I had bought a 2007 Honda Fit Sport about a month earlier and it shifted worlds better and was 10X more fun than the Soul. The Fit only had 68K miles on it when I bought it and drives like a new car. No regrets selling my Soul. LOL!

Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
....a Durango? What was that like? When I think Durango I think Dodge and that's usually not a good thought. LOL!
It was fantastic. I owned a Journey for 9 years so I was very familiar with the Pentastar. I didn't need a v8 Durango so I tested a loaded up Pentastar. The ride was high, visibility was great up front but horrendous in the back. Drive was surprisingly smooth for the size and stance of the vehicle, and it never felt like I would've benefited from upgrading to one of the v8 models.

Honestly it was probably the best of the bunch that I drove. Interior quality was rugged enough that I don't think my kids would destroy it day 1, yet still modern and upscale enough for the lady and I. Infotainment and the stereo was top notch.

The problems were efficiency, price, and finding the right model. I couldn't touch the new price point on a Durango, so I was looking used a couple years. Even then, with 30-40-50k miles they were roughly the same cost as a new Sorento. Factor in the efficiency (that Pentastar, especially with the newer 8 speed auto is surprisingly efficient) of the Sorento, the warranty, the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about how the previous owner(s) treated it

The decision was made for me.

But truly I loved my Dodge Journey. They get trashed everywhere I read but mine was sensational. I couldn't have asked for a more reliable vehicle during some years where I absolutely depended on it.

Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line, Aruba Green, Rust Interior
It was fantastic. I owned a Journey for 9 years so I was very familiar with the Pentastar. I didn't need a v8 Durango so I tested a loaded up Pentastar. The ride was high, visibility was great up front but horrendous in the back. Drive was surprisingly smooth for the size and stance of the vehicle, and it never felt like I would've benefited from upgrading to one of the v8 models.
Sorry for wandering a little off topic, but I'd like to second the V6 Pentastar, along with the 8-speed. That's what I had in my '12 Dodge Charger, and it was great. It moved that big car enough to keep me happy while being very fuel efficient. I could get 34-mpg on the highway if I did my part. Honestly, Dodge's interiors aren't exactly luxurious, but they are very functional and I think they have some of the best infotainment on the market. Simple, but very easy to use and responsive. Only problem with my Charger after 85,000 miles was a thermostat that didn't open fast enough for the car, a quick $25 replacement.

I'll also second your feeling on the Dodge Journey. My parents have one of the most base models out there (manual driver's seat, LOL), but it does have the Pentastar. Only a 6-speed transmission, but that Journey can move with the Pentastar, it hasn't given them any problems, and my Mom loves it and I don't think she'd trade it for anything. In many ways, I see the Sorento as a spiritual successor to the Journey. Dodge just let the Journey rot on the vine when everyone is selling a ton of crossovers. The Journey was one of those Goldilocks-sized SUVs that I think could do well in today's market if they'd bothered to put any effort into it. Anyways, my 2-cents.

Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
Sorry for wandering a little off topic, but I'd like to second the V6 Pentastar, along with the 8-speed. That's what I had in my '12 Dodge Charger, and it was great. It moved that big car enough to keep me happy while being very fuel efficient. I could get 34-mpg on the highway if I did my part. Honestly, Dodge's interiors aren't exactly luxurious, but they are very functional and I think they have some of the best infotainment on the market. Simple, but very easy to use and responsive. Only problem with my Charger after 85,000 miles was a thermostat that didn't open fast enough for the car, a quick $25 replacement.

I'll also second your feeling on the Dodge Journey. My parents have one of the most base models out there (manual driver's seat, LOL), but it does have the Pentastar. Only a 6-speed transmission, but that Journey can move with the Pentastar, it hasn't given them any problems, and my Mom loves it and I don't think she'd trade it for anything. In many ways, I see the Sorento as a spiritual successor to the Journey. Dodge just let the Journey rot on the vine when everyone is selling a ton of crossovers. The Journey was one of those Goldilocks-sized SUVs that I think could do well in today's market if they'd bothered to put any effort into it. Anyways, my 2-cents.
My tstat was stuck open at around 100k, and coolant temp was only reaching 170*F. I think I paid $13 for the thermostat and housing all in one piece. Mine was a 2012 SXT, front wheel drive, cloth, manual seats, no sun roof, no towing package or roof rack, no back up camera or parking sensors, no lane keep... nothing. But it hauled ass when I needed it to, and even in her last days was 22-23mpg mostly city. Highway was up near 30 for most of its life. The 62te trans treated me very well despite me never changing her fluid or filter until it was too late. It's too bad they never tried to improve the DJ, it was a nice looking and smooth operating family hauler. With a little modernization I think I would have bought another. I still considered buying another one used but my kids demanded captains chairs and a sunroof.

I think I fell in love with the Sorento because it's actually got the same shape as the DJ, and is pretty similar in size. I have a feeling the 2.5T performs similarly to the Pentastar too. Power ratings and efficiency are similar. Kia just packed the Sorento with features that Dodge ignored. I hated to go from a Dodge to Korean, but I think I made the right call.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My son's 2012 Wrangler had the Pentastar V6 and it cost me lots of money and got dismal MPGs... I know it's a Jeep... It had an oil leak - cost me $1200 as it was the oil cooler part was cracked. Also used oil somehow. No blue smoke - no puddles... it was weird. I was not a fan.

but...

On our recent trip to Las Vegas and Phoenix we rented a Plymouth Voyager minivan and it was great. Got great mileage but it used coolant. I was checking it and topping it off constantly. I didn't want an overheating situation on the side of the road in 117 degree heat!

I'd take a Kia Sorento over any Dodge vehicle though. I like their (Hyundai/Kia) engineering.

Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
My son's 2012 Wrangler had the Pentastar V6 and it cost me lots of money and got dismal MPGs... I know it's a Jeep... It had an oil leak - cost me $1200 as it was the oil cooler part was cracked. Also used oil somehow. No blue smoke - no puddles... it was weird. I was not a fan.

but...

On our recent trip to Las Vegas and Phoenix we rented a Plymouth Voyager minivan and it was great. Got great mileage but it used coolant. I was checking it and topping it off constantly. I didn't want an overheating situation on the side of the road in 117 degree heat!

I'd take a Kia Sorento over any Dodge vehicle though. I like their (Hyundai/Kia) engineering.
lol yes the oil cooler sits in a plastic bracket I believe, and if you torque it back in even just a smidge too much it cracks. It's very common. I'm stunned that after almost 10 years I never busted mine open.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
lol yes the oil cooler sits in a plastic bracket I believe, and if you torque it back in even just a smidge too much it cracks. It's very common. I'm stunned that after almost 10 years I never busted mine open.
On the Sorento it too has a plastic oil filter/cartridge system. On these you just tighten until it stops - then you are done. The new O rings are in effect so no over tightening is needed. My Stinger was the same way. My old Santa Fe also had the cartridge style. My Soul interestingly enough had an regular oil filter.

Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
On the Sorento it too has a plastic oil filter/cartridge system. On these you just tighten until it stops - then you are done. The new O rings are in effect so no over tightening is needed. My Stinger was the same way. My old Santa Fe also had the cartridge style. My Soul interestingly enough had an regular oil filter.
I think I looked under the hood of this car twice since laying eyes on it. Haven't even looked underneath to see what sort of plates or covers I'm dealing with. I'm hoping someone else puts a video up on oil changes for the hybrid

I've never owned a turbo motor, nor a hybrid. I bought one with both, like an idiot. Luckily there seems to be a generous amount of room under the hood since the gas engine is sized for a freakin moped scooter.

Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige
I wouldn鈥檛 have a CVT either but I don鈥檛 need 8 gears shifting every 3 seconds. Give me 6 max and I don鈥檛 want 6th until I鈥檓 at 70mph

Registered
2021 Seltos S AWD, 2020 Rio S
The US government doesn鈥檛 care how many gears you are comfortable with. They mandate fuel economy and the manufactures increase the number of gears to meet it.

Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
I would also say that I wish I could hear the turbocharger whistle; it's very quiet. I'm sure most people would disagree on this one. I had several turbocharged Buick Grand Nationals back in the day, and you definitely heard the turbo on those! I do realize of course that is not what the Sorento is supposed to be, so no big deal!
Check out the air filter exchange @Will1988 and myself completed. Sounds are back and I nice diverter valve whoosh. Waiting on @Will1988 to post clips of the Shark Racing BOV sounds. Mine's in the mail 馃憤. If I had a way to record the stock sound w/ new air filter I'd post it, too much wind noise now though.

Reactions: Mr. Wigglesworth

Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
Check out the air filter exchange @Will1988 and myself completed. Sounds are back and I nice diverter valve whoosh. Waiting on @Will1988 to post clips of the Shark Racing BOV sounds. Mine's in the mail 馃憤. If I had a way to record the stock sound w/ new air filter I'd post it, too much wind noise now though.
Is there a whistle as the turbo is spooling up? That鈥檚 the sound I love. Lots of big diesel pickup trucks around where I live and that鈥檚 about the only part of them that sounds cool.

Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
Is there a whistle as the turbo is spooling up? That鈥檚 the sound I love. Lots of big diesel pickup trucks around where I live and that鈥檚 about the only part of them that sounds cool.
Yes there is a spool whistle. Don鈥檛 get too excited it鈥檚 not like a 6.5L turbo diesel. But it is noticeable.

Reactions: Mr. Wigglesworth

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think I looked under the hood of this car twice since laying eyes on it. Haven't even looked underneath to see what sort of plates or covers I'm dealing with. I'm hoping someone else puts a video up on oil changes for the hybrid

I've never owned a turbo motor, nor a hybrid. I bought one with both, like an idiot. Luckily there seems to be a generous amount of room under the hood since the gas engine is sized for a freakin moped scooter.
Luckily it has a long powertrain warranty.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts