Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering - because I don't have mine yet - how everyone likes their Sorento overall.

Things you like.
Things you love.
Things you wish were different.
Things you hate.
etc...

I've ordered my Aruba Green with Rust Interior SX Prestige X-Line...
..but since I haven't put money down yet - I'm open to any and all feedback.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I test drove the EX - X-Line and loved the way it drove. Fast - smooth - probably the smoothest drivetrain I've ever drove.
Also what I've seen from the MPG thread looks promising - I'm thinking long trips - flat ground - 30+ MPG.
I'm a hyper-miler from way back to my Yaris and Fit days. :)

Also LOVE the Panoramic sunroof! It just opens it up and feels so open and airy.

How do people like the animated gauge cluster? I haven't seen one yet in person but it look awfully cool. I did, however, test drive the Calligraphy Edition 2021 Santa Fe and it had the similar display and it was cool as shizzle!

How's the turn signal cameras in the speedo/tacho treating you? Do you find yourself using it all the time? I still look over my shoulder by habit - especially driving the Del Sol. LOL!

Also LOVE the captains chairs! SWANK!

As empty nesters - my third row will likely be down 99% of the time so lots of cargo room.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
133 Posts
I like it enough but very disappointed by all the deleted options that they made for the US market. There’s a whole thread about that if you care to read through. Add another salt rub to the wound - the new Carnival mpv gets ventilated front AND rear seats.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
312 Posts
Things I like:
  • Everything that is not listed below, even coming from a BMW 3 series.
Things I wish were different:
  • Molded-in rear emblem - only because I want the new look of the '22 to put the new logo on and can't
  • SCC in school zones - when on a normal road (it always suggests 20mph no matter what) if traveling through a school zone
  • Map light on/off - I wish it had an actual button, more fingerprint issues since you have to touch the glass/beveled edge
  • HDA - I wish I could utilize the self-adjusting speed limit with a +5mph over speed limit increase like the SCC does
  • Apple CarPlay dash integration - It'd be awesome if my Waze and other info could be displayed like how KIA's GPS is integrated.
Things I hate:
  • Piano black interior pieces - just a fingerprint/smudge hot zone that is going to be a PIA to wrap
  • Option exclusions for the US - I'm interested to see if buying OEM parts for things like ambient lighting, memory seats, and even US option stuff I don't have (SX AWD) from the X-Line like power-folding mirrors are plug and play or will need a dealer to code into infotainment/ECU
  • X-Line bumpers
  • The panoramic sunroof controls - I'm continuously noticing the shade half-closed, the slight push for the shade is too slight
  • Kia GPS - I'm a Waze enthusiast and have compared its' routing, it is always the longest way
  • Acceleration issue w/ traction control
  • Crash Alert - We shouldn't be deprived of acceleration when it is activated and the vehicle is stopped. Happened today actually; I was at a stop sign of a 3-way intersection where cross-traffic does not stop and a vehicle had its' blinker on to turn in my direction, but at the last second (after somewhat turning, since I don't trust people) decided it wanted to go straight and the collision detection system kicked in. After said car passed I could have pulled out but was prevented in a similar way as the traction control turning issue we're experiencing. The car rolled and ended up in that weird "stalled" state halfway in the intersection for enough time for another car to approach.
  • Sounds of nature - thanks for the reminder @Mr. Wigglesworth
I don't have the digital dash, but did test drive X-Lines that did and enjoyed the cameras in the Speedo/Tach. I couldn't find an X-Line that wasn't marked up $5K+ over MRSP though, glad in the end since I hate those bumpers. The sticker of an X-Line was only $2K over my SX AWD and I couldn't justify those few options with that $5K+ markup.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
84 Posts
I'm wondering - because I don't have mine yet - how everyone likes their Sorento overall.

Things you like.
Things you love.
Things you hate.
etc...

2021 SX AWD Gravity Gray

Things I love:
-linearly torquey engine
-solid, quiet ride
-sporty looks for an SUV
-that beautiful dual-clutch transmission

Things I hate:
-ugly KIA badges
-wonky electronic driving controls (cruise HDA, lane keep assist, etc)
-stupid "sounds of nature" on the audio (no offense to those who use it to keep their baby happy lol)
-other useless features on the display, instead of useful vehicle/ engine monitoring display features
-I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I really didn't want a sunroof, but couldn't find one without. (even an EX, which supposedly can be built sans sunroof)
-wish they would've had exhaust tips exiting the back, instead of the quasi-fake exhaust look

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line, Aruba Green, Rust Interior
33 Posts
I got the XLine and I love it. I do have quibbles with it: 1) memory seat should be offered for the price, 2) I think it's a little bit louder than it should be on the highway, but the benefits far out weigh the complaints. I don't hate anything about it. Love the digital dash, rust interior package, and highway driving assist.

I wanted something the could carry a dog and infant easily, but still be small enough to easily park in the garage or drive in cramped parking lots around Atlanta. The raised rails on the XLine are great for the roof carrier we use on extended trips.

I thought I wanted a two row, but ended up with the sorento because it drives so nice. I also looked at the Passport, Blazer, Cx-9, Edge, Santa Fe, RDX. For me, the XLine was the perfect balance of price, technology, appearance (interior and exterior), while being sporty/ fun to drive.

FYI, I also have the Aruba green with rust package. If you're not familiar, be aware that all turbo sorentos have a dual clutch transmission, that can feel a little different compared to an automatic, especially from a stop, but it's ultra smooth when accelerating on a highway on ramp, and is slightly more fuel efficient than a conventional auto. It's not bad by any means, just different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got the XLine and I love it. I do have quibbles with it: 1) memory seat should be offered for the price, 2) I think it's a little bit louder than it should be on the highway, but the benefits far out weigh the complaints. I don't hate anything about it. Love the digital dash, rust interior package, and highway driving assist.

I wanted something the could carry a dog and infant easily, but still be small enough to easily park in the garage or drive in cramped parking lots around Atlanta. The raised rails on the XLine are great for the roof carrier we use on extended trips.

I thought I wanted a two row, but ended up with the sorento because it drives so nice. I also looked at the Passport, Blazer, Cx-9, Edge, Santa Fe, RDX. For me, the XLine was the perfect balance of price, technology, appearance (interior and exterior), while being sporty/ fun to drive.

FYI, I also have the Aruba green with rust package. If you're not familiar, be aware that all turbo sorentos have a dual clutch transmission, that can feel a little different compared to an automatic, especially from a stop, but it's ultra smooth when accelerating on a highway on ramp, and is slightly more fuel efficient than a conventional auto. It's not bad by any means, just different.
...plus it's a wet-clutch transmission, not to be confused with Ford's adventure with a dry-clutch transmission that didn't hold up. These should be very reliable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
2021 SX AWD Gravity Gray

Things I love:
-linearly torquey engine
-solid, quiet ride
-sporty looks for an SUV
-that beautiful dual-clutch transmission

Things I hate:
-ugly KIA badges
-wonky electronic driving controls (cruise HDA, lane keep assist, etc)
-stupid "sounds of nature" on the audio (no offense to those who use it to keep their baby happy lol)
-other useless features on the display, instead of useful vehicle/ engine monitoring display features
-I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I really didn't want a sunroof, but couldn't find one without. (even an EX, which supposedly can be built sans sunroof)
-wish they would've had exhaust tips exiting the back, instead of the quasi-fake exhaust look
I would also say that I wish I could hear the turbocharger whistle; it's very quiet. I'm sure most people would disagree on this one. I had several turbocharged Buick Grand Nationals back in the day, and you definitely heard the turbo on those! I do realize of course that is not what the Sorento is supposed to be, so no big deal!

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento Hybrid EX Aurora Black, 2016 Kia Soul +
13 Posts
I absolutely love my EX Hybrid.

There is probably not an option that was included that I would have paid extra for in isolation for itself.
The notion that it is some stripped down model is way overblown on this board.

It handles and accelerates way better than I anticipated and the mpg is better than advertised.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
I absolutely love my EX Hybrid.

There is probably not an option that was included that I would have paid extra for in isolation for itself.
The notion that it is some stripped down model is way overblown on this board.

It handles and accelerates way better than I anticipated and the mpg is better than advertised.
I mean, it's missing some stuff that a $40k car should probably have...
Heated steering wheel, cooled seats, memory seats, rain sensing wipers, some extra motion in the lumbar support

I would have appreciated a tach as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean, it's missing some stuff that a $40k car should probably have...
Heated steering wheel, cooled seats, memory seats, rain sensing wipers, some extra motion in the lumbar support

I would have appreciated a tach as well.
No tach? Hmm... that's just weird.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
18 Posts
To me, I understand the complain for the missing AC in the 3rd row and the the memory seat if you have multiple drivers.
The rain sensor, honestly i have it on another car and usually end up doing it manual anyway to fine tune the frequency better.
The hood struts, I don't care, I think it is not heavy for the average Joe and you do not open it everyday.
Heated/ventilated second rows would have been nice.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
Nothing. They hybrid took out the tach and put in an efficiency gauge. Basically shows when the battery is being charge, when you're operating in an arbitrary eco friendly mode, and when you are driving at a certain percentage of the gas engine output. It operates similar to a tach I suppose, but I used the tach on my Dodge Journey to focus on shift points throughout the life of the car. It's one thing to feel them, but to see first hand "Oh ok, it holds 2nd and 3rd gear to 2500 where last year it was 1900" is something I would like to see.

Especially since the hybrid has paddle shifters for some reason!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing. They hybrid took out the tach and put in an efficiency gauge. Basically shows when the battery is being charge, when you're operating in an arbitrary eco friendly mode, and when you are driving at a certain percentage of the gas engine output. It operates similar to a tach I suppose, but I used the tach on my Dodge Journey to focus on shift points throughout the life of the car. It's one thing to feel them, but to see first hand "Oh ok, it holds 2nd and 3rd gear to 2500 where last year it was 1900" is something I would like to see.

Especially since the hybrid has paddle shifters for some reason!
A tach is nice just so know what your engine is doing. Does the infotainment system give good hybrid info like the Prius does?

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
A tach is nice just so know what your engine is doing. Does the infotainment system give good hybrid info like the Prius does?
lol nope. It doesnt give us shit. I can see engine temp (although it's just "hot, cold, warm"), tire psi, real time and avg mpg, and a nice little real time diagram of whether I'm operating on gas, electric, both, or charging.

At the very least, it's missing a tach, oil temp and pressure, trans temp. I can control whether or not the doors lock/unlock when I shift to PARK, but an oil pressure gauge is too much to ask apparently.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento SX White with grey interior
18 Posts
I have the SX in White and I like the car a lot. Very nimble driving, great acceleration, good handling, comfortable seats, good climate control, roomy interior, good storage behind the back seat ( I do not use the third row seat) It fits in my garage better than my previous Subaru Ascent. THe displays are responsive and reliable ( unlike the Subaru). Mileage is good at around 25 mpg. I took a 6500 mile trip almost immediately after buying it and I found it to be very comfortable. I like my light grey interior.

Do not like all the piano black, would like memory seat function and heated steering wheel.

I like it better than my previous 4 cars, 2 Highlanders, Venza and Ascent.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
I have the SX in White and I like the car a lot. Very nimble driving, great acceleration, good handling, comfortable seats, good climate control, roomy interior, good storage behind the back seat ( I do not use the third row seat) It fits in my garage better than my previous Subaru Ascent. THe displays are responsive and reliable ( unlike the Subaru). Mileage is good at around 25 mpg. I took a 6500 mile trip almost immediately after buying it and I found it to be very comfortable. I like my light grey interior.

Do not like all the piano black, would like memory seat function and heated steering wheel.

I like it better than my previous 4 cars, 2 Highlanders, Venza and Ascent.
Funny when I was in the market, I tested a Highlander and Ascent before making my purchase. The Highlander I drove was a 2018 v6 and felt rough, slow, sluggish and very unrefined. It was a total dud. The Ascent was a beautiful car, easily my favorite interior, but I absolutely hated the driving experience. That CVT ruins it. My second choice ended up being a Durango, but the prices were just too high.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
16 Posts

Things you like.
Things you love.
Things you hate.
etc...

I like most everything about it, except the transmission/accelerator interface. I don't think I've ever driven such a herky-jerky car that seems to be unpredictable about how it will accelerate and when the transmission will shift. I've tried it in all of the various drive modes (Smart, Eco, etc.) with the same results. (What is with that goofy Sport mode?) I wish I cold convert it to a full manual with a clutch: Then I could drive much smoother than this dual clutch boat anchor.

I have also experienced the sudden loss of power when turning or hitting a bump. THAT is a major safety issue that must be corrected or I will be selling the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Things you like.
Things you love.
Things you hate.
etc...

Like - great looks both inside and out, quiet and quick
Love - interior design, tech is over the top, mirror turn signal
Different - X-Line should have dual exhaust appearance like the lower class Sorento
Hate - no memory seat(s), no rain sensing wipers, fuel mileage is in low 20’s around town, badging, no wireless Appleplay

Great car for wife - she loves it and we’ve owned Sorento’s for 6 years

You’ll be very happy with the SUV.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
78 Posts
White SX Prestige X-line

Like - styling (even all the black plastic trim that I typically hate is starting to grow on me, our '17 was an SX just to get color matched trim). Overall how it drives (I personally really like the electronic assists like highway lane assist, full stop and go adaptive cruise and auto hold). 360 cameras, especially when changing lanes.

Different - the speedo and tach being on the wrong sides. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. Lack of power, its better than our previous Sorento, but a 4 cyl turbo for a car this size should get up and go quicker. Since this is my wife's daily and I just occasionally drive it, I don't hate it, but if I drove it daily I probably would hate the lack of power, but no Kia I have ever owned has been a power house.

Hate - missing features of 3rd row vents, memory seats, and built in sun shades for the 2nd row. A top of the line trim level should have memory seats and 3rd row vents. Even the bottom trim level should. Kia removing these makes me feel like my next purchase may not be a Kia as they don't deliver the value they once did.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts