Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2000 sportage 2X4. Radiator split open the plastic tank and the engine got hot. We did not max the temp gauge, but it was very hot. Replaced the radiator and up came code P1115. I cleared the code and drove around the block to warm the water to make sure the level was right. Then the heater core blew a gallon of water onto the passenger floor. Now the engine wont start. It cranks over but no fire.

I could use some ideas.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
You need to first find out what is happening to cause the rupture of the cooling system components.

Perform a cooling system pressure test (you may have a bad head gasket), and test the radiator safety cap, (may not be venting at 12psi)...Philip

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Once it got hot it probably melted the glue in the heater core. When it pressurized again, it split the heater core. The most likely reason it won't start is that the computer got wet when the heater core blew. Computer is located at passenger feet area against angled part of firewall, under the carpet.
You may be able to save yourself some grief if your heater core bump is like the pictures in the sticky about changing heater cores.

Bottom line though is that you need to find out why you are getting such high pressure in your system. Need to do checks per Phillips post.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am worried about the head gasket, or even a cracked head. I picked up a heater core already. I did see the core replacement short cut thread.

But what about the computer, how do I check to see if it was killed?

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
My experience has been that when it drys out it is usually ok if that is indeed the problem.

Worry about what the pressure problem is after you find out what it really is. Might just be a stuck thermostat....or....

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the heater core in! The Sticky "Heater core workaround" worked for my 2000 sportage!!! Great advice.

Thanks to, Upyourkia. Now I'm going wait few hours to let the glue/rtv set on the hump before I put the dash panels on. Then I'll try to figure out if the head needs to come off or not.

I would like some trouble shooting advice here. I don't have a water pressure tester. And I still haven't learned anything about the P1115 code.

Working hard but still need guidance.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
My best advice is, If you don't have the test equipment, borrow, steal or rent some.

Without the tests you are working blind and it will cost you more in the long run... Philip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
P1115 Engine Coolant Temperature Signal from ECM to TCM.

This is the least of your worries, it may be related to excess moisture at the ECM.. Philip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the thermostat so I could run the engine with the radiator cap off and see if I got excess pressure. I didn't. I put the cap on and after 2 or 3 minutes no pressure. Also no steam coming out of the exhaust, no water in the oil and no oil in the water.

Without a load on the engine ran smooth up to 3000 rpm. But in gear it idles rough, shakes the car.

I turned it off to do a couple restarts to maybe reset the idle but it wound not restart. Right now I think this is my main problem. Cold start perfect. Than no start when just a little warm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts