Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX, 2013, Niro PHEV SX, 2019
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's,
As the heating is engine dependent and the air climate drains battery I was hoping to go through the fall months using just the seat and wheel heating. Problem is the system appears to default to re-circulation setting when you turn off the system. I did find that the vents open with the sunroof cracked, but i live in western,coastal Canada where it rains a lot of the time so that isn't a viable option.
I could turn on the defrost setting momentarily to clear and then cancel bt it seems it would be so easy just to have a vent mode in the system just to allow you to make the most of the EV range.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, seeing as you are reading this i'll update my findings.
Turning on the driver only setting for brief periods will activate the defrost automatically. outside temp is +4 deg C and set at 20 deg C the air still blows cold in defrost mode. I didn't run it long enough to see if it would revert to cabin air and turn on the engine. (I know the heating will work from earlier playing)
The manual says if you have defrost on it will automatically set the flow to outside air then if you turn off or go back to auto it would default to the previous setting which i believe defaults to re-circulation mode as the vents stop blowing air.
It's possible window guards and keeping the windows cracked is the only option in which case i'll give up as they are ugly.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro PHEV Business Luxury
26 Posts
This seems to be a problem for people who live in colder regions. I try to survive as much without ventilation as possible but there are days when you simply have to turn the heating on, else it's dead cold inside or the windows fog up. This is the way we have to live now, until we change to full EV.

Wish the NIro had come with heat pump like VW Passat PHEV for example.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This seems to be a problem for people who live in colder regions. I try to survive as much without ventilation as possible but there are days when you simply have to turn the heating on, else it's dead cold inside or the windows fog up. This is the way we have to live now, until we change to full EV.

Wish the NIro had come with heat pump like VW Passat PHEV for example.
Now I've realized the engine will run just for heat and not as part of the drive system I am a bit happier with the situation. Although i turn the heat off as soon as it defrosts the windows.

NA is short on available plug ins from Europe. We only get the Prestige German/Swedish marques.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts