Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble with their outdoor thermometer? I just bought a 2005 Sorento EX and find my thermometer is way off when vehicle is sitting out in the sun all day. Our typical days of late have been 108-112 degrees yet it shows 88 degrees. That would be wonderful but obviously not correct. I leave the windows cracked and a sun shade up to allow hot air to escape, thinking that the extreme heat building up may be the trouble. Unfortunately this hasn't worked. :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've understood it to measure ambient temperature although I don't know the point at which it is measured, the following is taken from a glossary of motor terms at

www.reliance.com

AMBIENT TEMPERATURE
The temperature of the surrounding cooling medium, such as gas or liquid, which comes into contact with the heated parts of the motor. The cooling medium is usually the air surrounding the motor. The standard NEMA rating for ambient temperature is not to exceed 40ƒC.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2004 is the same but I don't think it is a problem with the thermometer. I am guessing the probe is under the the hood because after driving on a cold day and then stopping, for approx one hour the thermometer will over-read. This is probably due to the warm engine. whilst driving again the engine compartment cools down with air flow and thermometer drops down to a correct reading.

Your problem is the other way round. The external temp is extremely high but the engine compartment is shaded giving you an artificially low reading. I am going to guess that once you start driving it goes up.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Ya, you have to drive before it will become more accurate. It will only change a degree or two per minute, so give it some time.

Also, some Sorento's have the wrong units installed. If you have the automatic type A/C, then the only thermometer should be on the display, not in the overhead unit.

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Got the same problem with mine. Must be the placement of the outdoor thermometer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many cars suffer from this almost all will give high reading in traffic or when sat stationary for a while may be radiation from hot termac or heat from engine just drive a while and recheck.(adds a bit of exitement to my life wondering what it will stabalise at :D )
26000 miles of on road off road and still love my sorento :)
greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Sorento has the same problem. The other problem I have is with the overhead computer system.

The so called ALtimeter never reads the correct height above sea level. It changes dailey, even though it ios parked in the same spot.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The altimeter has to be set or it will not be accurate. The compass is the same way I believe. It's in the instruction manual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:(
C'mon everyone ..... why worry if it's reading are a little bit out ! :crying:

Be honest, if you want directions via a compass .... use a hand held one away from the car ... same goes for the Altimeter etc. :thumbsup:

Kia have only put these items on the car as mere gadgets, you know .... things for us guy's to play with & make it feel although they come from an F16 or similar !!!!

You all know they won't be accurate so give up on it & enjoy life .... as the recent bombings here in the UK have shown .... it really isn't worth worrying about !!!!! :D

Ta-Ra

Mark

B)

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The altimeter is supposed to tell you what your elevation is, but I beleive it needs to be zero'd out.

Mark Shaw is right. I have never owned a car that gave me the real outside temperature. They're about as accurate as a one-legged man at an ass-kickin' contest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts