Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 sportage 2.0 4WD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My wife`s Kia 97 Sportage, FE DOHC motor, 4WD.

Ok, so instead of just going into it. Let me give you some small history.

the car has been standing for 7 years, I managed to get it started eventually after a few days of trouble shooting. car ran well for a year.

Last week, number 2 injector (orange one) started leaking from the top seal (between the injector and the furl rail).

I removed all 4 injectors, had them serviced with new seals and flow tested as well. replaced them and car ran well for 2 days - then it started over fuelling and smoking badly.

initially I suspected a foul plug, but when I pulled the plugs they were fine. except number no.1 plus was wet. which meant a dripping injector - I took the injectors back to the place I had them serviced and they confirmed the same.

so now I am stuck with looking for 1 orange injector......2nd hand is good too. .......anyone??

Any help or feedback appreciated.

I am in Adelaide.

Mac

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend replacing with (new) - that way you know the part is good / you will have some type of warranty / return option available..

Recommend searching at amazon.com, automotive parts, for your model year Sporty - several options available to you on that site,

or eBay may have the listing of the part, local to your location (South Australia?),

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
98 sportage 2.0 4WD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - found an injector for $40, will check it out and see what happens.

@GottaCruise - I am happy to try out a 2nd hand one as injectors don't generally give problems and if they do they are easily refurbished. The mechanic who quoted $850 for this job only promised refurbished injectors anyway, so I am just doing what he would he would have done.

hopefully it all turns out well.

·
Registered
98 sportage 2.0 4WD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all good, I fitted the 'new' injector - never had it flowed or anything - car is running well again. now to see how long it lasts. fitted new plugs while I was at it. thanks for ur help all

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to source a low-cost replacement Injector, and the repair went well.

re: reburb injectors, my experience is limited in this area, never had to do one, appreciate the info and reply, I learned something today. :)

·
Registered
98 sportage 2.0 4WD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

2 issues to take note of with this job though :

the injector pins (the one that hold the injector clip onto the injector) are the old type ones and you need to remove them carefully as they shoot off when you try and pry them off with a pliers. they are hard to find as newer bosch injector clips that you are able to buy wont fit on them.

the hoses running from the side of the injector into the intake, it is U-shaped - they usually break off at the tips when you pull them off - they can be replaced with normal fuel line hoses - get a good brand (nothing flimsy) to ensure that they dont kink when you fit the replacement hose and bend them back to the same shape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recommend Fuel Injector Warehouse (OEM Fuel Injectors). Not affiliated, just replaced all the injectors in my '01 Elantra and plan on replacing the injectors on the '98 Sportage I just purchased. $45 green, $30 orange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts