Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with my dealership after taking my 2004 Optima in to get looked at. They said the problem is the "same as many other Optimas are having". The transmission has problems shifting. They said they don't know what causes it and they don't know how to fix it. Once KIA has "received enough complaints, they will have to address the problem and figure out how to fix it." Anyone have any similar problems? :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which engine/tranny combo?

--
Claff
04 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 SE
04 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 4WD 3.5L
02 Hyundai Sonata
05 Kia Optima?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pylo.....regarding tranny problems ....NO SIMILIAR PROBLEM..... I have an 04 Amanti BUT being told that there is NO fix for a particular problem with a new Kia....YES, YES AND YES..check out the Amanti forum and you will read many posts regarding a front end suspension problem for the Amanti that took months to resolve with many new Amanti owners being frustrated with an on-going suspension problem with no one being able to put it all together but it took a piece-meal approach by Kia until Kia finally was able to put out a TSB or two to fix the problem(s)...so good luck in getting your tranny fixed as I am quite sure that there are others out there with the same problem....bug the hell out Kia and insist that you get the services of a Kia engineer to look over your problem..don't let the dealer jerk you around...if they can't fix it call, write, and email them (Kia)............personally my problem could not be fixed by the dealer after 4 to 5 visits ( they at least tried) until a Kia engineer was called in and bingo the problem was fixed ( identified) in LESS THAN 5 MINUTES !!!!! :D Don't give up and do not allow the dealer to be in charge and don't accept the pure BS that they can't fix it.....BULL PUCKY........Good Luck.....rayray.....if they cannot fix it then tell the you require A NEW TRANNY :D :57:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pylo......If the dealer is telling you that other Optimas are having the same problem, they don't know the cause, don't know how to fix it and once Kia receives enough ( how many is enough????) they will address the problem and figure out how to fix the problem !!!!!!!WHAT A CROCK....TOO BAD YOU COULD'NT DOCUMENT THIS SOME HOW AS YOU COULD BE DRIVING A NEW WHATEVER......the judge would throw the book at Kia if you could somehow verify you were told this.....START PAPER TRAIL AND SUMMARIZE EVERYTHING...COPIES TO DEALER, KIA , ETC.........

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
My LX V6 '02 Optima shifts perfectly. Never a problem. Silky smooth and joy to use the manual mode too.

Are you aware that the automatic has a "self learning" programming function and there is a computer that dictates things to it. I don't know about the 4 cylinder's automatic which isn't the same transmission on the V6. It may or may not have this function. I have read and spoken to a tech at my dealership early on and don't believe what your dealer is telling you one bit. Sounds like you need to find another dealer and write Kia about your problems and ask for a Kia field service representative to check your car out. I wish there weren't so many dealers that like to pass warranty work by passing the buck on a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine has a shifting problem but the service department said was normal, when it shifts between 2nd in 3rd it seems to over-rev and then shifts into 3rd with a shudder, also when the engine is cold it will not select 4th gear. My work-around was to use tiptronic until the engine has warmed up.

does that sound similar to your problems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Optima LX is a 2004 and I have over thirty two problems with it. It is paid for and has an 11 yr extended warrantyand they refuse to warrant it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

[/SIZE]

I own a 2001 kia optima v6 and have had and am still having many expensive problems with it. The first major problem was the timing belt.. that was (if I remeber right) around $500.00. My latest problem and scariest is the transmission problems I'm having. I will be driving along just fine then all of a sudden it jerks real hard then won't change gears after that. It keeps staying at 3 or higher rpms. I wonder how many hundreds of dollars this is going to cost. My cadilidic converter (spelling ?) sensors also went bad. I took it to be looked at because the (ever so common it seems) wonderful check engine light came on. I was told that would cost $700.00 to fix but that it really wasn't necessary to fix and could be driven without fixing it unless I was planning on driving to somewhere like california where they check for emissions control. He did something to make check engine light that I love so well go off .. but it's back again..go figure...It sounds like my car is louder than it should be now also. I also have the gas gauge problem I keep reading about which must be another common kia problem. Mine also does not go to the full mark. I bought my kia in 2002 used and loved it when I first got it but now it's going to cost a fortune to keep it reliable. What a waste of 12000.00 + dollars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
karennogle...In my opinion something is really wrong with your post. You state you have 32 problems !!!!!! with your 04 Optima and an extended warranty to boot and you say nothing about the TYPES of problems you are experiencing and why they are not being addressed by your dealer.....I find this very strange as your "facts" are extremely vague ( actually nonexistent) and you give no info regarding why your dealer won't fix the problems....perhaps if you took the time and clarified your story by providing ALL the pertinent facts , you might get some advise from this group that would be beneficial. But until then your "case" doesn't hold any water at all.....Maybe your dealer is as confused as I am especially if you provided them with the same statements as you made here......This is not meant to be to be a put-down as I am sure people would and could help you BUT honestly you make a case that a judge would throw out of court in about one second................give us more STUFF if you really want any help..... rayray....................

·
Registered
134 Posts
Barb34...........If your catalytic converter is not working properly it might be covered under your emission control warranty. I would question the high cost if the problem is only the sensor providing the CC is ok minus the sensor. Get a second opinion as I think you might still be under warranty.At least check it out. And for your info you can easily drive your car in Calif. as long as you do not have it registered in Calif. because only then are you required to have a smog test ( every 2 yrs or something like that ) and then if it does not pass you are in deep dodo................ :beer: Rayray

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
:eek:fftopic: I know threads sometimes get off the topic. This was once about transmisson issues. Now it seems to be going in another direction. If you have other issues with your Opitma create another thread about it so that way if someone else has the same problem they can use the search feature and find the thread about that problem. If not it makes it really hard sometimes to search for something if the thread title is totally different.
:liebe011:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, over thirty problems. I had to report them to 4 agencies. Mainly overheating,
locks locking without anyone touching them, transmission jumping into gear, making noise after the vehicle is shut off, raining inside vehicle, recalled tires the company sold on the vehicle that keep blowing out every three months. False advetisement on the price by $5,000.00 more than stated, vandalised in their parking lot without notification to buyer, and the kicker , injured in transit from Korea to the port of Los Angelos, CA.The list is endless. The dealer al;ways states"cannot duplicate problem", this is the normal tactic used by them. They have been sued recently by other consumers. The vehicle is paid inf ull and has a warranty but the dealer flat out haS REFUSED TO FIX IT. They have breeched their contract, committed misrepsresentation under Federala nd State Law and sold a vehicle with prior damage and defectiveness. I have no power in manual mode and automatic mode surges and races the engine.I hope this helps people who plan on buying an Optima or any Kia. Kia does not stnd behind their product as they claim. This especially true after the sale is completed and when they are paid in full for the vehicle. There are legal remedies under the Lemon Laws and under the Uniform Commerical Code and Statute of Frauds in a situation such as this and a Consumer Protection law entitled the "Maguson- Mosss Warranty Act"

·
Registered
134 Posts
karennogle.......thanks for the clarification and yes you seem to be "heading" in the right direction namely you probably will need a lawyer or a real push for a lemon law recipient................don't give up and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.....good luck and many regards.......rayray

·
Registered
4 Posts
:right: I have an 01 Optima LX and just had the tranny replaced this week under warranty at 54000 miles. It was shuddering hard between 40 & 45 MPH, drives like new now. If there is a problem and you are under warranty, your dealer should change out the tranny w/o too much hassle, mine did. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
karennogle....the Statute of Frauds has nothing to do with what you are claiming. It is simply a type of statute which requires certain types of transactions to be reduced to writing, be notatrized or any number of other things depending on the type of transaction. Your misrepresentation of Kia violating the "Statute of Frauds" makes me question your other complaints and statements of fact. Additionally, while YOUR Kia dealer may not be upholding the warranty, please do not then make the assumption that KIA does not and they do not, you can not extrapolate the company's attitute toward standing behind a product from the dealer.

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Kia Optima LX, and have had no problems with it.
Finis R. Price, III
Attorney at Law

·
Registered
134 Posts
:bwekk: spec sx....I don't agree with you as each post deals with some aspect of tranny problems.......some more , some less.......all the post s are related and interconnected and could serve the interest of someone needing to research Optima transmission problems in relation to the bigger picture of what kind of quality or lack of quality Kia offers......I, myself have an Amanti but love the lines, looks and appeal of the Optima and would probably consider purchasing one except the Amanti SO FAR ANYWAY has been a fine car.................just my 2 cents but I do understand your point but simply dismiss it at this point as being :eek:fftopic: .............. rayray

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Not every thread deals with the aspect of tranny problems. Yes there is some good info in this thread but if someone sees this thread and does not have tranny problems they might not look at it and find the other good info.
We went from talking about tranny problems to talking about other car problems. Thats the whole purpose of making different threads. One thread will have one topic and another thread will have another topic. I still stay it went off the topic. It has now really gone off the topic now since we are discussing this issue now.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
I must agree with Spec SX, if you have other problems with your kia, then please create a new post and place a link within this post to address your new post. Hope that didn't confuse as much and I am right now! :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, if I start count of problem from blown light, wheel misalignment to puncture tyre etc, I probably not too far from your encounter in my previous cars that are not make by Kia.

Yuo like to name your 32 problems?

Originally posted by karennogle@Aug 2 2005, 11:29 PM
My Optima LX is a 2004 and I have over thirty two problems with it. It is paid for and has an 11 yr extended warrantyand they refuse to warrant it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts