Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new car and very seriously considering my first hybrid.

Who here has one and what are your thoughts? What kind of highway mileage are you seeing?

I have a 160 mile round trip commute that is 99% highway, but 25 miles is up hill into the mountains. Is the Optima a good choice??? Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Just picked mine up today. Can't really give numbers on mileage just yet. It only has maybe 20 miles on it. lol

So far I'm impressed with how quiet the ride is. The Optoma is designed to give you the best mileage on the highway.

Ask the guys in the Optoma Hybrid forum Optima Hybrid. Here's a informative video on how the powertrain works in the hybrid model http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gd5Y1Ut3o90#t=0s

·
Registered
27 Posts
After driving the 2011 Optima Hybrid for exactly one year and putting on 12,500 miles, I traded it in yesterday for a SX Limited. There were several reasons for it: the gas mileage was not what they advertised it to be (consistently getting only slightly over 30mpg) and the trunk space was way too limited.

Don't get me wrong ~ I loved the way it looked and the way it drove but the trade-off was just too much to bear!

·
Registered
169 Posts
After driving the 2011 Optima Hybrid for exactly one year and putting on 12,500 miles, I traded it in yesterday for a SX Limited. There were several reasons for it: the gas mileage was not what they advertised it to be (consistently getting only slightly over 30mpg) and the trunk space was way too limited.

Don't get me wrong ~ I loved the way it looked and the way it drove but the trade-off was just too much to bear!
Was this mainly city driving? I'll wait to refuel before I calculate my mpg. Going by the trip computer I'm averaging 38/39 mpg on my first commute to and from work which is 75 miles round trip. It should increase as the engine breaks in.

So far it looks good! If it can at least equal my 2012 Rio in mpg..I will be happy. Larger car, more luxuries, same gas mileage would be nice. Looks like it will surpass the RIO in town fairly easy in mpg.

Congrats on the SXL..very nice ride! That turbo can get you in trouble.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was this mainly city driving? I'll wait to refuel before I calculate my mpg. Going by the trip computer I'm averaging 38/39 mpg on my first commute to and from work which is 75 miles round trip. It should increase as the engine breaks in.

So far it looks good! If it can at least equal my 2012 Rio in mpg..I will be happy. Larger car, more luxuries, same gas mileage would be nice. Looks like it will surpass the RIO in town fairly easy in mpg.

Congrats on the SXL..very nice ride! That turbo can get you in trouble.
It was also in the mid to high 30s when I first got it until they did two TSBs on it and the mpg plummeted. I complained to the dealership several times but they couldn't find any solution to it, even after consulting with corporate ~ Around town I was getting about 30.5 and about 34.5 on the highway:mad:!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima LX 2011 Kia Sorento SX
142 Posts
Never take EPA MPG figures at face value...serious who in hell that knows about cars take that figure seriously?

EPA MPG test are usually done on a rolling road (IE Dyno like) and never have to simulate REAL WORLD driving issues. IE Stop and Go traffic in a densely populated area, up hill down hill situations, heavy or light footed drivers etc etc.

EPA testing is always going to be IDEAL condition driving. IE no retards in front of you, not emergency, no variations etc.

If I remember right city testing is done at 35mph going straight and highway is around 50~65mph testing. So yeah getting EPA is ideal at all times with the smoothest roads ever.

Want real MPG figure before buying that car? Read MT/C&D/Top Gear/EVO/Automobile etc etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It was also in the mid to high 30s when I first got it until they did two TSBs on it and the mpg plummeted. I complained to the dealership several times but they couldn't find any solution to it, even after consulting with corporate ~ Around town I was getting about 30.5 and about 34.5 on the highway:mad:!
Working around the DC area..those numbers are terrific for a car of this size. The traffic there is horrendous! The SXL will be around 23/25 in the same conditions if you're lucky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I test drove a Prius today, drives nice, not a lot of pick up and quite frankly, I'm not sure I like the styling.

Planning on going by the Kia dealer tomorrow and jump in the Optima. I know one thing for sure, I really like the styling of the Optima so as long as the ride is even equal to the Prius, then the Optima is my winner!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Working around the DC area..those numbers are terrific for a car of this size. The traffic there is horrendous! The SXL will be around 23/25 in the same conditions if you're lucky.
I agree but the trade-off is just too much: The lack of trunk space and the idiosyncrasies of a hybrid are not worth it (not to mention the much better looking styling with the Limited) ~ BTW, the outside temperature is now showing all the time on the dash and, because of the electric emergency brake, there is now more room on the left side of the footwell!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree but the trade-off is just too much: The lack of trunk space and the idiosyncrasies of a hybrid are not worth it (not to mention the much better looking styling with the Limited) ~ BTW, the outside temperature is now showing all the time on the dash and, because of the electric emergency brake, there is now more room on the left side of the footwell!
Enjoy the SXL..worth is in the eye of the beholder. Add rims to the the hybrid and the lines will blur in looks. I'm looking at more than 600 miles between fill up..not many cars of this size can give me that or nearly as quiet doing it.
I do like the spirited muscle of the turbo..very fun car.

I agree with the trunk space. They had to give some where to get the mileage though. Since I drive this car to work ..not really an issue for me. The electric emergency brake is a cool feature!

Nearly 200 more miles to a tank of gas is substantial for me.

·
Registered
2014 Optima SXL
92 Posts
I gotz one! Had my car in for the left pull issue today and while it was serviced, I test drove the SX-L. Very nice car, love the seats. Dealer was pretty interested in trading it in, but when I got my car back, they appear to fixed the issue, plus programmed my steering with SX setting. I can say that the car drives a little more interesting now. Like it's a completely new ride. I'm thinking of keeping it for a while.

OP, for the amount of HWY driving you're doing, the hybrid would be the best choice, especially if you get the loaded one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We picked up a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid loaded.My wife drives 108 miles per day round trip and she is averaging 44.3mpg on standard gas and 46.7mpg on premium no ethonol gas. We did get 665 miles on the first tank and we are on our second tank now with premuim getting better milage......I simply love the car.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
1 Posts
2012 Hybrid

I've had my 2012 hybrid for about a month. It's getting 35-37 mpg around Salt Lake and on a trip to Montana last week, got 43 mpg. Filled it up in Salt Lake and drove the 550 miles on one tank. Same on the way back.
I really like this car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love my 2011 Optima Hybrid

I've had my hybrid for exactly one year -- 13,000 miles. Rides very nicely around town and on road. I've been keeping good track of mph vs. average speed. At around 65mph (across Eastern Washington) I've repeatedly gotten 40mpg on a trip (including across Cascade mountains.) Of course at 75-80 mph this goes down a little to around 38. Around town is more dependent on average speed. At very slow city driving (ave 15mph) it only gets about 25mpg. However at more reasonable averages (20-24mph) it quickly crosses an average of 30 miles per gallon and goes up from there. I have no complaints about it the car at all, and have had no problems thus far. There is a bit of an uncertain zone (lag) when accelerating around 15mph. One gets used to it. I sometimes put it in sport (non-eco) mode around town and this helps with the transition zone from electric to gas/electric.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts