Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In the next few days, i want to buy an EX. But the question I ask myself is this, turbo or not?
The turbo engine is reliable or not ? Does the waste gate is again a problem ?
What I'm looking for is the reliability.

Help me to make the best choice

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Have you driven an SX back-to-back with an EX, to judge the turbo driving effects? This is my second turbocharged car, and I appreciate the power benefits, especially when driving at higher altitudes and in hilly terrain. The gas mileage in city driving will be more noticeable between turbo and non-turbo (probably 2-4 mpg), while highway mileage differences will probably be closer.

From a reliability aspect, a non-turbo will always be more reliable, but this one seems to be well-designed. The waste gate issues are quite resolvable under warranty if they arise.

If I had to do it again, I'd buy another SX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the EX non turbo yesterday and i feel i made the right decision... i figure unless your getting manual its pointless to get the turbo! my 2cents... i love my Optima tho!!! def worth getting the tech n premium package!!!

·
Registered
GMC Acadia, Kia Optima EX-T Lotus super 7
2 Posts
I have a 2011 EX-Turbo (11,200 mile) and have had 0 problems. Just oil changes. The turbo was the only way I could get my wife out of a Hemi V-8 and into a smaller car.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
...i figure unless your getting manual its pointless to get the turbo! my 2cents...
I disagree with this statement. Modern 6-speed automatics work very well with the new generation of small turbos that develop maximum torque at low engine speeds. Between the nearly seamless transmission shifts and quick turbo spool-up, I always have torque when I need it, but the auto shift logic is also working better than a manual could to maximize gas mileage. That was true with my previous Audi DSG/2.0T and also with this Kia version. I rented an Optima LX in LA a few months ago and thought its auto transmission was much better than several (non-turbo) Sonatas I've rented.

BTW, the paddle shifters on an SX are a benefit IMHO - I use them to hold a gear on steep descents every day, but the auto-up and down-shifts do a very good job for everything else. All auto Optimas have the manual shift override at the lever, its just not quite as handy as the paddles.

·
Registered
Audi A4, Saab 9-3 Aero SC
174 Posts
... i figure unless your getting manual its pointless to get the turbo! my 2cents...
This statement is out of left field. Its akin to saying, unless you're getting a manual, don't get a more powerful engine. It doesn't matter if you're talking an engine with more displacement, forced induction, or higher efficiency.

I currently own two turbo vehicles, one with an auto and one with a stick. I've also owned a turbo auto as well as a SC'd auto prior. I have plenty of good experience with forced induction automatics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts